Advice for keeping coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any advice for keeping and maintaing this guy? I hear they are pretty difficult and people cant keep them for more then a year. I add Instant Ocean Reef Accel. every month, sometimes a few times a month, whenever I do a water change. Any help would help!

Attachments

• Photo_5BA5DB86-0B01-07C8-444D-259FD6668D44.jpg
    Photo_5BA5DB86-0B01-07C8-444D-259FD6668D44.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 88
I believe you're right. I was think gon.. gonia.. something. Goniopora I see now.

I'm really still hoping Kelso knew what it was before purchasing. Good way to blow some money picking out something that needs "expert" only care, "perfect water conditions", and that folks told you that they were pretty difficult.

Kelso, having said all that, I've been there when I first got started. This hobby and the excitement is extreme.

It won't last long anyways. The quantity an size of those aiptasias are pretty large. They're going to sting your corals to death. Should look in to getting rid of those slowly if you haven't already.

Those Aipstasia are going to kill that very fast. I had would recommend selling that coral and taking care of them first. I killed a couple by taking a syringe and 1ml of white vinegar and giving him a healthy dose. Or you can buy some aipstasia killer for around 13 bucks.

I feel bad for that poor piece

He has another thread about getting rid of them. I would start with the ones next to that guy :) I don't know anything about coral but it looks nice!

I have heard that Goniopora spp. (flowerpot) tend to do better when fed Golden Pearls and/or Rod's Food.

Yes I was actually eyeing it for a few weeks. Should have put the name. It was sitting in a bio cube in the front of my lfs for about a month acording to the owner. My buddy has a white one that hes had for a while. Hes the one I discused getting it with, he told me about there difficulty. Then I went to get some fish food and ended up walking out with this coral. Figured I could keep him, but I didnt know aiptasia were that bad:(. They havent really effected my coral from what I can see, but then I may be looking at the wrong things. All I can see is a crap load of them, but the coral still grow some even rub on the aiptasia and seem fine. So your saying I have to get rid of the coral in my tank before even treating with aptasia even though the box says it will not harm coral.

its just that you've got SOOO much aptasia in that tank. As you kill them and they dies off, things are gonne be kinda funky for a while. While the coral is healthy, I'd take it back for as much of a refund as you can get and start going to battle with the aptasia.

you don't have to remove the coral in order to kill the aptasia. just don't try and treat them all at once. do a few at a time. keep an eye on your ph.
the goniopora probably won't survive either way.

Back
Top Bottom