Advice needed on fish stock to Biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is in its 8th week and everything is absolutely perfect. IT IS A BAREBOTTOM. I have about 17 coral in there and they are all thriving. My Biocube skimmer is working really well although I noticed many say theirs didn't work. Nitrates are ZERO without using any chemical filtration.

I have 2 clowns in there and they are happy. I'm adding a flame hawkfish for sure! What other fish should I add?

Flame Angel? ---I'm worried it will nip at corals, don't want any chance of problems.

royal gramma?
firefish?

I want something really bright and colorful, but peaceful at the same time. I've heard dottyback can be mean.

Last edited:
Glad it's going well for you. Hawkfish can be aggressive with small gobies so be careful. Fairy wrasse or a Midas Blenny would be awesome, peaceful, and add color/ personality. Wouldn't recommend a dwarf angelfish because of the risk even though some people say they're fine with corals, you never know and it's a lot of money an nice pieces to potentially throw away.

Can I have gobies since I don't have sand?

yes, you can have gobies with bare-bottom tank although they appreciate grazing on the sand for leftover food. Maybe you could put a small patch of sand in certain corner of the tank. i agree with the last comment about the hawkfish. they're semi-aggressive and might not be a suitable resident in your tank.

Glad it's going well for you. Hawkfish can be aggressive with small gobies so be careful. Fairy wrasse or a Midas Blenny would be awesome, peaceful, and add color/ personality. Wouldn't recommend a dwarf angelfish because of the risk even though some people say they're fine with corals, you never know and it's a lot of money an nice pieces to potentially throw away.

Thanks, I'll check on those fish at the LFS. Yah, I don't want to risk the flame angel.

you can always try cleaner shrimps and some hermit crabs while at it.

I have 7 hermit crabs, last time I counted and 2 snails and lots of other snails that came with the live rock and now are reproducing like crazy! Don't really want the cleaner shrimp though.

yes, you can have gobies with bare-bottom tank although they appreciate grazing on the sand for leftover food. Maybe you could put a small patch of sand in certain corner of the tank. i agree with the last comment about the hawkfish. they're semi-aggressive and might not be a suitable resident in your tank.

I thought the flame hawkfish is only aggressive towards shrimp.

They can be aggressive in general. I had One in a reef tank once and he chased everything smaller than him (which was just about everything). Caught him, three him into a larger FOWLR and he never went after anything.

Firefish are small colorful and peaceful. Do research on gobies cause some aren't suitable. I saw someone recommend an engineer, cool fish but don't do it they get about a foot long. You could also look at clown gobies, they are neat little guys and stay small.

Back
Top Bottom