Advice on adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StartingInUtah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for some advice on adding some fish to my aquarium. I moved my tank and followed some bad advice a couple months ago and lost all my fish except one female Ocellaris clownfish. I put the clown in my QT tank and then added it a couple weeks later when I knew all the water parameters were back to normal and the small cycle that it went through was done. Then I added a Christmas Wrasse as well and that is all that is in there right now (except a few corals that survived). My parameters are back to being good again and I am looking to add more fish. This is where I need some advice.

My tank is a 75 gallon. I would like to add some fish today (after quarantine of course). I want to add a second Ocellaris clown to pair with the female I have. I know it has to be small and the female will likely be aggressive toward it for a couple weeks but then they should pair off and I am told it will be fine and to not worry about it. The next fish I want to add (along with the clown if possible) is either a Royal Gramma, some type of Blenny or Goby, or two Bengaii Cardinalfish. Would I be okay adding 2-3 of these types of fish at once with the small amount of fish I have in there right now and the size of my tank?

Also, does anyone have any advice on the type of Blenny or Goby to add? I have been leaning toward a bicolor blenny, a tailspot goby or a firefish of some sort but I am not sure yet.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

The key to salt water is to go slow. It seems like you've learned this the hard way already. I wouldn't add more than one fish at a time. Those fish are possible, but doing it all at once isn't advisable at all.

Some good fish:

Snowflake Blenny
Midas Blenny
Pink spot goby

Really any goby that isn't one of the miniatures such as the clown gobies would be good options.

I agree with the advice above except I always prefer to add new fish in pairs especially when they have gone through quarantine together. In my experience adding two at once makes it less likely that the newly introduced fish will be picked on by the others and they will have a familiar fish (face) with the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the advice above except I always prefer to add new fish in pairs especially when they have gone through quarantine together. In my experience adding two at once makes it less likely that the newly introduced fish will be picked on by the others and they will have a familiar fish (face) with the other.

Adding two fish would effectively double the bioload in this case though.

True but going from 2 to 4 fish on a 75 gallon tank shouldn't be a big shock to the system, particularly with relatively small fish like those you are considering. I am assuming that your tank is fully cycled and that your water quality is stable.

I added 2 fish at a time on my 55 gallon salt and there was no ill effect. But as mentioned above, make sure the tank is fully cycled and params are good.

Back
Top Bottom