Advice on algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a marine tank with fish and coral in the last couple of weeks I have started getting a lot of green algae growing over the sand I have tried to scoop it out but it comes back. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get rid of this ?

Thanks in advance

Algae grows because there's too many nutrients in your water. How often are you doing water changes and are you using Ro/DI water?

What are you using for filtration?

how many hours a day do you have lights on the tank?

Hi thanks for the reply

I am changing about 25% water every two weeks
The filter I am using it what came with the tank it's a Kent bio reef 94
The light I tern on the first white light (dull one) around 1pm then change to bright light around 4pm then to blue around 8-9pm

Thanks

I had the exact same problem. Do this, and say bye bye to your algae problems. 15% water change a week. Don't wait every other week. UV sterilizer: I swear by these things. It produces Crystal clear water. Also, Don't over feed your tank. I feed every other day.

How long has your tank been up and running?

UV sterlizer may be overkill - before going out and getting one I'd say do 10 - 15% water changes each week, instead of the bigger change every other week. May also be worth doing some water testing (specifically looking for phosphates). You may also want to reduce your feeding schedule a bit: sometimes if you're overfeeding those extra nutrients can feed into algae.

If the tank is relatively new, you just need to get over the algae hump: we all go through it. Diatoms, then hair algae, and then (hopefully) that stuff will all leave you alone.

With corals, also, are you protein skimming? If not, it might be a good idea to give that a whirl.

My lighting schedule:
blue moon LEDs overnight
blue actinic come on at 7 - 10 AM
Whites get added in 10 - 6
back to just actinics 6 - 9
Then at 9, everything off but the moonlight LEDs

A UV sterilizer is only going to kill what goes through it. it's not the reason your water is clear, nor the reason for the sand bed algae disappearance. I would say cutting back on feeding and weekly water changes are what's doing that Steve.
You can even feed as little as twice a week. It's definitely a nutrient issue.

Yep. A sterilizer is great for quarantine tanks and other issues. Ozone (dangerous...) is sometimes used for water clarity, but not for a casual hobbiest. Carbon can clear up compounds that will yellow the water. But simpler is best, a few water changes may set things on course.

Thanks all I will try a few water changes first see what happens, I only started getting problems when I had a couple of green craps that dies and as I really liked them the fish shop said they died because they could not get enough food so increase the food doing this caused the problems.
The tank had been going for around eight months with no problems until I increased the food.

That actually might have been the issue. If you didn't have an algae before this might finally be its turn. But all of the above mentioned ways to reduce algae growth work, so go for it.

Back
Top Bottom