Advice on canister media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlopNewsom

Aquarium Advice Freak
After fighting hair algae for almost a year, I broke down and purchased a 4stage canister with a uv sterilizer. I've never used one and would like some advice about what media to put in it and in what order. It came with carbon, ceramic rings, sponge, and filter floss.
I have a 210 gal tank with a 75 gal sump that stays about half full, a reef octopus skimmer, and I have no idea how many pounds of live rock but a substantial amount in the tank and sump. My tank is lightly stocked- lemon peel tang, yellow tail damsel, long nosed hawk, flame hawk, tomato clown, coral beauty, percula clown, watchman goby and a harlequin tusk that will be returned at some point because he killed all my shrimp. Also several corals. I purchased this tank so I could have a couple tangs but I'm not adding stock until I can get my algae problem situated. It is greatly improved but the canister was the last of a long list of things I've tried. This canister is rated for up to 175 gal but I'm only using it to assist my regular setup.

I'm Not sure about the canister filter. But have you tried to see hare? They will go through and eat all the algae. The only problem is, When the algae is gone, The sea hare will most likely die :( I had one and he worked really well!! Just watch your intakes, And powerheads. I lost mine to my powerhead intake:(

I'd go with a coarse sponge 250ml of Purigen in The Bag, a bag of phosban (or similar phosphate remover), a bag of carbon, and another sponge. If you don't plan on washing the sponges out every week I'd skip them and just use the canister for chemical media.

I'd go with a coarse sponge 250ml of Purigen in The Bag, a bag of phosban (or similar phosphate remover), a bag of carbon, and another sponge. If you don't plan on washing the sponges out every week I'd skip them and just use the canister for chemical media.

+1
But in place of regular carbon, I would use Chemipure. :)

Beengirl said:
+1
But in place of regular carbon, I would use Chemipure. :)

ChemiPure Elite is a wonderful product but it's mostly just carbon and phosphate remover. By keeping them separate you can only use the PO4 remover when it's needed. It's a bit simpler to use the Chrmipure and skip the PhosBan as well as the separate carbon so it's a good suggestion. Either way would be great.

Just wanted to point something out. One man's trash is another's treasure. You said you wanted to hold off adding tangs until you got your algae under control. I think the tangs would be more than happy to help you with your problem there =-)

Not a fan of canister filters.

Yeah, I thought about the tangs eating the algae but I've been worried about an underlying water issue causing the algae.

FlopNewsom said:
Yeah, I thought about the tangs eating the algae but I've been worried about an underlying water issue causing the algae.

Canister filters are often the source of algae nutrients unless cleaned out religiously or only used for chemical media. Just thought I'd mention that.

My canister is only used for chemi pure and phosban. And it adds current to the tank. Works well. No sponges unless you want to clean them every week. A sea hare helped my tank when I started up my tank in the beginning. They are slow so easy to scoop out. Just pass them on to the next guy with hair algae issues.

I think i would sell the canister filter and buy 2 reactors run GFO in one and ROX .08 in the other much easier to clean and since they need to be changed at different times could save money in the long run

I think i would sell the canister filter and buy 2 reactors run GFO in one and ROX .08 in the other much easier to clean and since they need to be changed at different times could save money in the long run

What is GFO and ROX?

Back
Top Bottom