Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Advice on caring for Mandarin fish

Soliciting advice from all keepers of this beautiful fish. I am considering adding this to my 1 year+ old 135G reef tank. But with everything I have been reading, I want to solicit some experiences on acquiring and caring for this fish. How have others dealt with QT issues given the nutritional requirements? Appreciate as much information as you can supply. Thanks

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haven't owned one, but they munch copepods mostly (at all?) right? Should be pretty easy to scoop some out of your main tank and put them in the QT.. it's just the other way around you need to be worried about.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Well I plan to use tank water for the QT. I just wonder what other strategies others may have used for this. Thanks

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A guy in my area has been able to get his green mandarins to eat mysis shrimp. Don't know how he did it...but it is possible.

But I don't have an old enough, or large enough tank for them, so I can't comment otherwise.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Thanks for being so careful Sam. The Mandarin is a fish that should be rare and hard to find. Unfortunatly every fish store has at least 2 for sale at any given time. 98% of them die from starvation. Your concern is refreshing.

As far as how to care for them, I have no Idea. It sounds like it should be fine in your main tank as long as you have lots of live rock and a large copopod population. Feeding in QT may be a bit difficult.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Its a tough fish. A system with a large pod population is needed. Unlike their cousins the Scooter dragonet, they seem to rarely take to frozen food and many slowly starve.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

100 plus lbs of LR is a good start. The more LR the better. Also, as with all fish, it is important to pick out a very healthy one. Check your filter pads and Lr after dark to see if you have an abundance of pods.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I put mine into QT, I put some of my LS and I also took out some water in a container and shook some of my live rock into the container. This seemed to suffice for the two weeks he was in there. Had him about a year now. He's so peaceful that you barely know he's in there.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I didn't explain myself very well lol. I put the water from the container in the QT. And like you, I use my water from the main tank for QT.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I normally QT all of my new-arrivals, but given the special dietary needs of my mandarin I introduced it directly to the main tank. They are less prone to parasites due to thier think mucus coat. In fact, they may look like they have ich but it is just sand stuck to the slime coat. It has been several months now and no problems.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com