Advice On keeping a Copper Banded Butterfly Fish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titandriver1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I received a copper banded butterfly as a gift. I never would have tried to keep this fish with my limited experience, but now that I have it, could someone please give me some advice on feeding it? I have tried flake food and frozen foods as well, but it does not seem to be eating well. I heard that they will also eat oysters, is there any truth to that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I would try would be live brine shrimp, if you have some available. It can be followed by adding in frozen brine shrimp.
You can also go to the local fish food market, and buy clams that can be fed to the fish. There are different sized ones, but I would start first with the small cherry stone type first. Cut one in half and place it in the tank, saving the other half for the next day.
The fish needs to be in a quarantine tank, first, to observe and be sure there are no parasites causing problems, but mainly at this point, to be sure there is no competition for the food in the tank. The fish needs to be retrained as to it's feeding habits and that can't be done normally with other fish around.
If all else fails, the only other suggestion would be to buy some live mysid shrimp, and some live copepods and gradually start mixing in frozen mysis and frozen brine shrimp.

Mysis shrimp would be better, more nutritional value. IMO
Maybe Lando will chime in, he has had much success with his.

Mysis shrimp are fresh water shrimp and won't live long enough in salt water to get the fish to start eating. It is great as a food (the frozen kind) to start adding to the live foods when trying to wean them off the live foods.
If you can find the salt water mysids though, they make a great food but are expensive.
While the live adult brine are not as nutritious, they can be gut loaded with Selco/Selcon, or with spirulina, to provide good nutrition for marine fish. Also, they make a cheaper live food for your fish.

that may be so, but by advising folks to do this, they then run out and buy frozen brine. Unfortunately most (unenriched) brine is basically like eating a bag of potato chips and can lead to nutritional problems down the road.
Mysis shrimp is a much better choice, as are others healthier food such some of San Francisco frozens like Marine Crusine.
Would be better off skipping the live food altogether and wean the fish onto quality frozen foods from the start. Could also lace the food with a bit of garlic juice, that has be known to stimulate a feeding response.
All this being said, the best practice is to see a fish eat before bringing it home. I understand this was a gift, so that is obviously not possible.
Agree with the qt point for many reasons.
Your present is a fish that can be difficult to acclimate to aquarium life, some extra care and work may be needed and a qt tank would be a great tool.

Frozen mysis from www.mysis.com work grwat! As do fresh oysters ; just crack the shell. Live brine has little to no nutritional value and the fish will slowly starve if this is there main food. Also if it was an indo pacific caught fish it is a good chance that it will die as these fish are cyanide caught. The ones from austrailia are much easier to keep but cost about 3 times as much!

If you have a large enough tank with mature liverock you eill also have a better sucess rate!

What other fish are in the tank?

Copperbands are a very challenging fish to keep. Mainly because they are picky eaters and most simply starve to death. I have had great luck with my current Cooperband. I have had it for over a year, although I made sure I got one from Aussie, rather then in the East. Collection methods are questionable, many feel this is why the fish does not generally do well. In an attempt too get this fish to eat, do not feed just one type of food. Try gut-loaded brine, mysis, krill, squid, clams...anything to see what it likes. I also soaked the food in SeaChem's garlic to boost appitite. Another important factor is the amount of LR you have. I see mine grazing on my rook all of the time. I am not sure if it is picking at algea or pods, but it is showing deliberate feeding, which is a good sign of health. If you are at all concerned as to whether or not you can keep this fish, I would bring it back to the LFS. Just explain to the person who got this for you the challenges you face and I am sure they will understand. If you decide to keep it, good luck with it and let us how it is doing. the Copperband is my favorite fish.
Lastly...WELCOME TO AA!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Many fish that are difficult to start eating, will not convert directly to frozen foods of any kind.
Thats where live foods come in.
Brine shrimp are NOT nutrition free as people seem to keep posting. As well, you can gut load them with product of your choice if you are that concerned.
Live adult brine shrimp are used as a staple diet in the mariculture of marine fish for food, such as pompano. (per Michael F McMaster of Mariculture Technologies International)
I DON'T advocate feeding only one type of food, but to START a fish in a difficult situation, the live brine shrimp is an excellent way to go regardless of anyones thoughts on their nutritional value. By mixing in frozen brine after a short period of success using live brine, the fish can more easily be switched to frozen product, and THEN to products like the frozen mysis and others.

quarryshark, I would be interested in seeing the source of your information as in your statement "Unfortunately most (unenriched) brine is basically like eating a bag of potato chips and can lead to nutritional problems down the road."

I DON'T advocate feeding only one type of food, but to START a fish in a difficult situation, the live brine shrimp is an excellent way to go regardless of anyones thoughts on their nutritional value.
Yes maybe to start, but why not start with a better food such as mysis or at least mix some mysis in with the brine? Fish that are feed brine over long period have been known to starve.
My buddy at my LFS is now trying to nurse a starving French Angel that was fed a diet made primarily of brine for months. The fish looked horrible, but after some weening it has finally started eating formula one and mysis and is improving dramatically. This isn't the first brine victim he has rescued.
quarryshark, I would be interested in seeing the source of your information as in your statement "Unfortunately most (unenriched) brine is basically like eating a bag of potato chips and can lead to nutritional problems down the road."
For one, Fenner and crew, read through these posts.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nutrfaqs2.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nutrfaqs2.htm
I'm not going to sweep the web all night looking for articles to support this, but there are plenty. With all the choices of food out there, all i'm saying is that there are better options.

You may have missed the part where I mentioned that some fish WILL NOT start eating ANY other food other than live. They will die first. Would you rather have a fish die than get it eating so you CAN convert it to other foods?
Even at that, some fish will never convert, and some fish like the hawiian cleaner wrasse, will never eat anything you can provide to the tank.
With all due respect for Fenner, I believe he also is just passing on information he believed to be true without the knowledge that live brine shrimp is a major industry to supply food for the mariculture industry, not as the main or only food but as a part of a regulated diet.
As for long term survival on brine shrimp, for the first 5 years of my salt hobby I fed my tanks frozen brine shrimp and to my tangs, algae sheets we now call nori.
I use the live brine now to augment my fish food diet by gut loading them with Selco, and spirulina. (this on about a weekly basis) Ocassionally when I get a fish that is hard to start eating I use the live brine for that.
The french angel was not suffering because the brine lacked nutrition, it suffered because like many fish, it's system has been evolved to handle plant form foods like the various algae. Likewise, there are fish that will suffer the same way if you try to feed them primarily on spirulina type foods and not meaty foods.
That angel will eat meat foods but it NEEDs algae for it's best health.
The best analogy I can think of at the moment would be with respect to farm animals.
A cow will rapidly deteriorate if you fed him only meat foods, if you could get it to eat them, and a pig would rapidly go downhill also if you only fed it grass etc....
That doesn't mean there is no nutrition in either of those foods but it does mean that not all foods will work for all eaters.

The french angel was not suffering because the brine lacked nutrition, it suffered because like many fish, it's system has been evolved to handle plant form foods like the various algae
Agreed, it was suffering from general malnutrition. I am quite aware of proper nutrition for an Angel, mine is quite fat and sassy. :wink: There have been other fish placed in his care before with a similar problem and they were not all Angels.
Like I stated I agree that it may be OK to start with (as a last resort IMO) for a fish that refuses any other foods. I agree that is beats starving the fish. I just disagree that it should advised as the first course of action with all the available food products out there now.
I gues we can agree to disagree in regards to this subject. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom