Advice on more stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leslieb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 72gal bow front with 100lbs rock

I currently have

Blue hippo tang
Flame angel
2 ocellaris clowns
Maroon clown
Skunk shrimp
3 turbo snails
4 hermit crabs
3 emerald crabs
Green starfish
15 dwarf Ceriths
10 nassarius
10 Florida cerithse
15 nerites

Any suggestions on adding more or am I full.

I'd say your stocked but I could be wrong I have 6 green chromis
1 hippo tang
1 scopas tang
1 maroon clown
1 six line wrasse

And I don't see any issues

I've never counted CUC as part of the bioload, even though they obviously do add to it. In the end, a lot depends on what filtration you have and how your water parameters stay in check.

I'd say you could add another fish or two, just nothing too big. Theow in a fairy wrasse and something else relatively small. Be careful what you add, as the Hippo is in a tank way too small for its needs. It's gonna get big and think that the entire tank is his/hers. The Maroon could be a problem as they can get nasty as they get larger.

Oh no I hate to hear that about the maroon it is so sweet right now. My hippo is very small now how long to reach its full size?

Maroon Clowns are usually considered aggressive. They are also the most territorial of the Clowns. Cool fish, just tend to get aggressive as they get older.

The Hippo can get up to a foot long. If you've ever seen a mature one, you'll understand why they need big tanks. Plus, Tangs in general, need a lot of space to swim. Most suggest a six foot long tank so that they can get up to cruising speed. People have Tangs in "too small" tanks all the time and will argue that their Tang is somehow special because it "looks so happy and healthy". If you look at the Sick Fish section, you will see that just about every "my fish has Ich" post involves a Tang in an aquarium that is smaller than suggested. You almost never see that story with a Tang in an aquarium that is the proper size. That tells ya something (or it should). It could take a while to get larger. I tend to believe that keeping them in small tanks will stunt their growth. There are arguments to the contrary, but at the very least, it tends to cause health problems. I also wonder, if there is no stunted growth, why the people that have had Tangs in small tanks for years don't have full sized fish.

That's really sad to hear the lfs has been the one telling me what to get an never once said anything like that.

+1 on marron aggression I can even put my hand in the tank the move rock or scrape Stuff off my glass without him biting at my hand haha

If you're doing a FOWLR tank you could put in a dwarf angel or two. I have potters angel and I love the little guy, not safe with hard corals though!

Back
Top Bottom