Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Advice on oxygenation

Hey everyone, Just wanted to do a little brain picking about oxygen levels in my tank.
105G display, 20G sump, 10G fuge
I have a smooth running tank with hardly any microbubbles, there is no major surface agitation, nor any cascading water from equipment, and im not using a protien skimmer as I have switched to the natural Ecosystem miracle mud system. I have two nudis, some sallys, and an emerald crab that are active and fine, and my shrooms on the bottom are open and look happy, however the majority of my snails are hanging out up top and it just made me a little nervous regarding if there is enough oxygen in the water. I do have a very small bubblewand in the sump that is just barely beneith the surface to keep the majority of the bubbles from being pulled under and into the system. Do you guys think im okay? Any tips?

Thanks again.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
there is no major surface agitation
That's where the gas exchange takes place, at the surface.
Do have some agitation or a flat, glass like surface?
Try pointing a couple of PH's toward the surface to get some agitation.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I mean the surface swirls around because there is a Maxijet 1200 about 4 inches below the surface and my overflow obviously agitates a little, but nothing major. Do I need to attach the powerhead flow director and have it really churn up the top? That maxi so close to the surface could really be disrupting the surface, but if it isn't necessary I would rather avoid creep and such.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
have it really churn up the top?
I don't believe so. You need some agitation to break the surface and allow for the gas exchange to take place but you don't need to 'churn' it.

I have my two overflows but I wasn't happy with the amount of surface agitation so I add a couple of Maz 1200's on either end pointing across the tank and up to create more surface agitation.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com