Advice on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey0813

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I had a 90 gallon reef tank. My heater exploded Sunday and sent plastic into pump which was smoking and leached some kind of oil into water.
I saved what fishand critters I could... so far I have lost a shrimp and about 7 fish. I rinsed corals in saltwater and currently they are all in a small tank. looking puny but ok.
I rinsed my live rock which smelled like kerosine till it did not smell in treated tap water. I rinsed out my deep sand bed and tank about 6 times with regular water. i have refilled my tank with rodi and put my live rock back in tank along with some carbon and a poly filter.
My question is this ( think I already know the answer) will my tank have to go through a total cycle? today i did find one nassarius snail in the big tank. (hope Blooms) will my live rock have maintained enough bacteria to start the cycle? I do still have some hair algae on a rock.
Also anyone here familiar with filing a claim with marineland?
The mental anguish alone has been crazy!

I know the feeling. Last week my heater sent current through my tank, killing about 500 bucks worth of coral. Great clean up though. You have to be really careful with an accident like yours, that oil can get into places you'd never imagine.

Either way, just breathe. It could have been worse. Just get your tank set back up and see what your levels are in 24 hours, that will tell you how much BB was killed off. Then probably slowly start adding back your livestock, since you will have to build your bacteria levels back up again and you dont want what you saved to die because of an ammonia spike.

I read somewhere on here of this happening, months ago though. If you have documentation: receipts/ pictures/ the blown up heater, Your chances are much greater for getting a response from Marine Land. I'm not sure who it happened to but Im pretty sure they received compensation.

Back
Top Bottom