Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Advice on this coral...

First...What is this coral and does it require any special care/feeding?

Second... Is that white edge a cause for great concern? The white may have grown over the past few days, but the coral has only been in the tank a few days and this may just be an aftereffect of the transfer from the shop.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well it looks like a toadstool leather to me. But i may be wrong.

sicklidkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
looks like it to me
55 reef-260w PC -purple firefish -maroon clown -lubbocks fairy wrasse - hydnophora -polyps, more LPS on the way

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The coral appears to have some tissue nercrosis on the left. Is it like that always or are the polyps normally extended. If its like this all the time and it appears to be spreading cut off the bad part. Be sure to take a little of the good along so your sure to cut all of the bad out.

It is a soft coral in the leather familly with the common name of toadstool because of its apperance. This coral is very easy to care for and will require only medium light levels and moderate water flow. I define moderate water flow as enough flow to make the polyps gently sway back and forth in the current. Be sure to place the coral in a position wher it can fully extend and is not in risk of being in contact with other agressive corals. Overall this coral is fairly unagressive.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a toadstool coral under PC lighting, moderate flow. No special care or target feeding required, I do however use DT Plankton every other day.
55g Reef
(3) Maxi-Jet 1200's, Wavemaker Pro
AquaC Remora Skimmer
100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com