Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Zero333
Advice on this filer?

Hey i have a 10gal tank and from what i understand there is no real protein skimmer out there for such a small tank. Do you think this would be beneficial?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...f=3055&subref=AC&N=2004+22769

Any other recommendations will be appreciated. I ask here because so far this has been the best resource out there for aquarium topics so far.
TIA

Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't have any experience with that particular brand - but since your tank is a 10gal my advise (especially among the cheaper/more affordable brands) is to get one that is rated for 40gal or so, and then even if (when) it becomes less effective you are still covered.

For example - the prizm std skimmer is considered junk by lots of folks, and it is "rated" for a 90 gal tank. Actually on about a 20 or 30 gal tank they do quite well.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #3

Gotcha.
Is it possible to have too much skimming/over skim. I would hate to do that. I plan on only having small inverts a couple fish and coral in there, would i be removing anything I need by having too large of a skimmer for the volume??

thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can probably use the AquaC Remora hang on back skimmer. I use one on my 14g tank and it works good and easy to setup.

AquaC is coming out with a skimmer just for nano tanks sometimes soon.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #5

My friend has a 10 gallon marine tank also but he doesnt run a skimmer. he purchased a Marineland Bio filter mini. The LFS says if you run a filter with a bio wheel that you dont need a skimmer especialy in such a small tank. I really wouldnt worry about it as long as you do weekly water changes.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

those bio wheels are nitrate factories and will give you problems in the long run.

Like ilikefish said, you really don't need a skimmer in a 10g tank. I ran my 10g for over a year with no skimmer. I didn't over feed and did weekly 10% water changes to import trace elements and export waste. I also had around 10lb of live rock for natural filtration.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ditto the bio wheel / nitrate factory. If you go skimmerless, then you could do *only* water changes, tho' I'd do large ones. (3 to 5 gal per week).

Some folks believe it is possible to overskim, but I'm not one of them . I bet if you did a search across AA on "overskimming" you'd get a few opinions.

I thought of another inexpensive option, look for a (perhaps used) Aqua Clear 300 or Aqua Clear 500 and run charcoal and/or macro algae in the reservoir. This would "skim" but it would provide more than enough water circulation without needing any powerheads and would give you a space to put some calpura ...
Old 11-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

the skilter should be just fine on your 10 gal. tank providing you have LS substrate and 15-20 lbs of LR. The skimmer option is nice. It is not the best set up around but it should work well for you.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #9

Currently i have about 13# of live rock. 40# of LS. a mini-biowheel filter(without the bio-wheel) and a 201 ph.

I was just interested in using the skilfer as a PS and filter all in one, and was wondering if it would do a good enough job in such a small tank.
Would this do what i am looking for? Would it make things any worse? Would i benefit from putting something other then the filter cartridge in the filter i have now (such as carbon or something?)

thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should a fine skimmer in a 10 gal. I would toss in another 5-10lbs of LR as well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com