Advice on transferring tanks?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a great 55 for a steel. I have a 20l now its set up with fish live sand and Lr, has anyone transitioned tanks of this different of sizes?! Thanks!! I'm seriously clueless.

When you get new rock let it cure in the new tank until it stops spitting out ammonia.

After the rock is cured you can pull the fish out and keep them in a bucket / rubbermaid tote with a heater and something for water movement.

When the fish are removed from the tank you can move the live rock over to the new tank and do your aquascaping.

After all the hardscape is transferred into the new tank and settled then acclimate your fish to the new tank and voila. All done.

my advice is this because I just went from a 35gal to a 125gal.

Dont move everything over at once!

Setup the new tank, and cycle it then slowly move over some rock without coral and monitor the conditions for a week. Do this until you know the tank is stable then move everything over.

I just lost all my coral thinking I could just move all the rock and fish right away....UGH!! what a mistake!

Can I just fill new tank with tank water plus rest with new water and add the rock I've already got to tank them move fish over so it's like doin big wc

If coral were involved I would have recommended a much lengthier transition but its just a FOWLR. Just need to make sure to acclimate them properly and it should be fine. There's no increased bio load for ammonia production so cycling it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah no corals in tank but going to add more rock overtime bit by bit so don't have big spikes

We have a lot of corals. And we were going to us the current dt as the fuge for the new tank...
Idk what to do.

I've done two in the past 2 months. what I did was, bought some new cured live rock and used my old live rock from the smaller tanks. I bought new sand and mixed up some new sea water. I put the new sand in and took out all the old live rock from the old tank and put that in the new tank. I took all the fish and corals out and out then in big bins. I siphoned all the water out into the new tank and added the new sea water and let it run for about 3 hours, then added the fish and corals. Some will tell you it;s risky, but it's more or less the equivalent to a big water change. I tested the levels 3 times a day and never saw a spike or mini cycle in either tank.

To seed the tank shall I add some filter media from my old tank to the new tanks sump

Honestly, you should just treat it like you are buying new fish / corals from the store. As long as all your rock is cured in the new tank then a drip acclimation should get the corals and fish used to the new water conditions without too much difficulty.

You already have enough cycled rock / filter media from your old tank to handle the bio load of all of your live stock so you don't have to worry about doing a cycle on the new rock.

Okay so I may have found someone who is breaking down there tank and going to sell me all their Lr and Ls and cycled water. So is this an okay plan of action?

Put the newly purchased Lr and Ls in the 55g. Switch over the wet/dry system from the 20g to the 55g get that running.

Bag everybody up from the 20g and start drip acclimating. (Testing and monitoring along the way)

Switch over the rest of our Lr and Ls to the 55g.
Get everyone acclimated safely and continue to run the wet/dry system while we set up the 20g for a fuge. Then just swap out the sumps and pumps and we are good to go?

Is this rushing things?

Can I just fill new tank with tank water plus rest with new water and add the rock I've already got to tank them move fish over so it's like doin big wc

Yes I've done it twice 36to46 then 46to 92. I looked at it the same way large wc use all your rock and water I used my sand and added more. No problems I added like 75lbs of base rock to .

Attachments

• image-1732560346.jpg
    image-1732560346.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 75
Think I'm just goin get new cursed coral and put few cups of old stuff with new

Yes I've done it twice 36to46 then 46to 92. I looked at it the same way large wc use all your rock and water I used my sand and added more. No problems I added like 75lbs of base rock to .

Did you drip acclimate the fish and coral?

No, just drained the tank put corals in three buckets fish and inverts in two transfered the sand did the rock scape then added the old water then the new water and Fish, corals and inverts. I see it as doing a large wc I did place my filter media in the sump (bio wheels)

Right on!

Hopefully I get a hold of some Lr soon and start the fiasco

Well we did it! I have ( knock on wood) not seen any casualties!

scratch that there was casualty.
my leds took a dip on the side with the control board:(

now they turn on but i have no control over the timer or switching between light colors.
:(

they turn on though, and all the lights work.

if anyone has any advice that'd be great

scratch that there was casualty.
my leds took a dip on the side with the control board:(

now they turn on but i have no control over the timer or switching between light colors.
:(

they turn on though, and all the lights work.

if anyone has any advice that'd be great

Ouch, that's rough

Back
Top Bottom