Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Advice on transferring tanks?!

I just got a great 55 for a steel. I have a 20l now its set up with fish live sand and Lr, has anyone transitioned tanks of this different of sizes?! Thanks!! I'm seriously clueless.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When you get new rock let it cure in the new tank until it stops spitting out ammonia.

After the rock is cured you can pull the fish out and keep them in a bucket / rubbermaid tote with a heater and something for water movement.

When the fish are removed from the tank you can move the live rock over to the new tank and do your aquascaping.

After all the hardscape is transferred into the new tank and settled then acclimate your fish to the new tank and voila. All done.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

my advice is this because I just went from a 35gal to a 125gal.

Dont move everything over at once!

Setup the new tank, and cycle it then slowly move over some rock without coral and monitor the conditions for a week. Do this until you know the tank is stable then move everything over.

I just lost all my coral thinking I could just move all the rock and fish right away....UGH!! what a mistake!
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can I just fill new tank with tank water plus rest with new water and add the rock I've already got to tank them move fish over so it's like doin big wc
Old 06-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If coral were involved I would have recommended a much lengthier transition but its just a FOWLR. Just need to make sure to acclimate them properly and it should be fine. There's no increased bio load for ammonia production so cycling it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah no corals in tank but going to add more rock overtime bit by bit so don't have big spikes
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

We have a lot of corals. And we were going to us the current dt as the fuge for the new tank...
Idk what to do.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I've done two in the past 2 months. what I did was, bought some new cured live rock and used my old live rock from the smaller tanks. I bought new sand and mixed up some new sea water. I put the new sand in and took out all the old live rock from the old tank and put that in the new tank. I took all the fish and corals out and out then in big bins. I siphoned all the water out into the new tank and added the new sea water and let it run for about 3 hours, then added the fish and corals. Some will tell you it;s risky, but it's more or less the equivalent to a big water change. I tested the levels 3 times a day and never saw a spike or mini cycle in either tank.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To seed the tank shall I add some filter media from my old tank to the new tanks sump
Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Honestly, you should just treat it like you are buying new fish / corals from the store. As long as all your rock is cured in the new tank then a drip acclimation should get the corals and fish used to the new water conditions without too much difficulty.

You already have enough cycled rock / filter media from your old tank to handle the bio load of all of your live stock so you don't have to worry about doing a cycle on the new rock.

Tags
transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com