Advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apet66

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 3" bi-color blenny and he has started to bite the tentacles on my candy coral when it has them out. Has anyone else encountered this behavior? My lfs assured me the blenny was reef safe. I would hate to have to bring him back but can't have him eating my corals. Any advice is much appreciated.

bicolor blenny

wow, I had a bi-color, purple and orange with a pigmy angel for 2 years in a 14gal bio-cube, never had issues with corals, lots of cactus algea and polyps with them too, fed froz brine shrimp. try introducing a new food, perhaps it is looking for copipods and has depleated food source.

Andrew McFadden said:
They are suppose to be reef safe but if he was putting stress on my corals is re home it and try something else.

Definitely not going to let him kill the corals, if he continues I will have to take him back.

lindazoo said:
wow, I had a bi-color, purple and orange with a pigmy angel for 2 years in a 14gal bio-cube, never had issues with corals, lots of cactus algea and polyps with them too, fed froz brine shrimp. try introducing a new food, perhaps it is looking for copipods and has depleated food source.

I feed him frozen brine, mysis shrimp and flake food he eats everything but is always grazing the rock looking for algae. The tank is just over 2mo. old and doesn't appear to have a pod population. May have to introduce some in the tank. Thanks for the advise.

Ok, I closely inspected my tank tonight with a flashlight and low and behold... copepods everywhere! Just hope they are not juvenile Cirolanids. I have removed 1 from my tank that was attached to my purple firefish.

I is bitin the feeding tentacles that are out at night? If thats all he's doing, i wouldnt be too worried IMO. But if he goes after other corals than ya..i'd bring him back. Unlikely though

My lfs said they had one earlier this year in one of their show tanks that took a liking to their corals so he had to be removed. Apparently they can develop a taste for coral. They said if he continues they will take him back and give me credit for something else. I would hate to take him back because he is such a cool fish. I hope he behaves himself.

ForumRunner_20121128_090809.jpg

Bi-colors are reef safe most of the time but I've herd a few stories about a rouge one like this

My Duncans are all retracted along with my frogspawn. Candy coral doesn't have its feeding tentacles out today. Haven't witnessed him going after any of them though. Going out of town for 2 days and kinda worried what I will come back to. He better be good!!!

Is my Duncan safe on the plug sitting on the sand bed or do I need to place it on a rock?

ForumRunner_20121130_095412.jpg

apet66 said:
Is my Duncan safe on the plug sitting on the sand bed or do I need to place it on a rock?

Depends on your lights. What lights are you running? If they're bright he'll be perfectly fine seeing as he's standing well above the sand. Nice looking coral btw.

CorallineAlgae said:
Depends on your lights. What lights are you running? If they're bright he'll be perfectly fine seeing as he's standing well above the sand. Nice looking coral btw.

Hey thanks!
It's a 15" deep tank and I am running 2 t5's 1 white 10,000k, 1 actinic blue-03, 39w x2. Sitting right on top of the tank. He opens up real nice every day but wasn't sure if the sand would irritate him.

He should be okay. If it seems like he's over inflating to get light you could move him up but I doubt the sand will bother him.

Back
Top Bottom