Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red face Advice very welcome

I had this posted in the greating area, figured I'd post here as well...

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Thanks for the welcome and for all the advice already absorbed and to come.

I have always had amazingly good luck with my tanks. I used my tried and true "buy the good one from the start and it should, in theory, work better" technique.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help the fact that I am a complete slacker when it comes to my tank. I don't maintain it nearly as much as I should.That has now caught up to me, and I am ready to "Buck Up" and properly maintain this immense expenditure. Better late than never, right?!

Recently, I had an almost total die off. Just 1 rather large Domino left (the biggest jerk of a fish, no less) CATASTROPHIC is a good word...
There is now a ridiculous bloom of algae all over all my rock. I've discontinued exposure from the MHs to help quell the outcrop.

Figure it's time to get serious...

PLAN-

-First i think I'll use another bin of H20 to give all the rock a good "shake off". Hopefully removing most of the crap built up while trying to preserve whatever is left alive and beneficial on the rock. I'll try to keep the rock as submerged as much as I can to prevent die off here.

-I think it would be wise to keep maybe 20% of the water. Maybe just leave the sump untouched. Contains some clean rubble and miracle mud between the intake and output sections.

-While the rock is out I think i will build a closed loop circ system with one of the many Mag Drives I have laying around. I would like this to keep the water a little more turbid to allow less waste to settle. The "squid" water diverter looked like a good idea, but almost all of the reviews complain of premature failure. Not cool for 90 bucks...

-Rebuild rock structure
-Fill with new H20
-Buy new livestock

Simple Right... hahaha

Any and all Advice or Expectations would be greatly Appreciated

Thanks very much in advance...

Jay

Also, has anybody used this "Aquaripure" deal?? Looks interesting. Any downsides, besides the price?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are going to rinse the rock off use the water from your tank (Fill the bin with your old tank water). This will prevent most die off. Also, keep in mind you will most likely cause your tank to recycle so you will have to wait on buying new livestock until that is through.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

ditch the domino while this process is going on, he won't ever stop being a jerk, that's just how damsels are
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
If you are going to rinse the rock off use the water from your tank (Fill the bin with your old tank water). This will prevent most die off. Also, keep in mind you will most likely cause your tank to recycle so you will have to wait on buying new livestock until that is through.
Thats was my plan. I figure the tank was going to recycle no matter what, so i might as well get the rocks as scum free as i can and build that closed loop system.

Thanks For the good advice
Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreamInSaltwater View Post
ditch the domino while this process is going on, he won't ever stop being a jerk, that's just how damsels are
Its amazing, out of all my beautiful fish, this [moderator edit] is the one that survives!
I almost feel like he should get a "last man standing" prize! He is a monster Domino though, almost 3". Th second runner up was a 5" Black velvet damsel (also a douche) but more of a "I know i'm big" instead of an active [moderator edit] like the domino.

They start out small but boy do they suck when the grow!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

heck, they even suck when they're small! i had a small one and as soon as i added a visibly larger clown to the tank he bullied it for two days straight! i know its a dominance thing but he was after him before the clown was out of the net!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think the larger sqwd's open for maintenance. i used one of the smaller ones for about a year on a 30 cube. it never failed in that time.

are you drilling the tank for your CL? why not just add a couple power heads and call it a day?
do you have any coral in the tank?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i think the larger sqwd's open for maintenance. i used one of the smaller ones for about a year on a 30 cube. it never failed in that time.

are you drilling the tank for your CL? why not just add a couple power heads and call it a day?
do you have any coral in the tank?
I don't have any coral in the tank as of now, but eventually I will again.

I wasn't going to drill, If the tank was new I would. But it is a messy process in place, even semi broken down.

I think I can run a neat plumbed job out of drinking spec ABS (black) and It wont be very visible at all.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
what about a vortech? those are pretty cool and will do the job without plumbing.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your plan sound fine. I took all the rock out of a 125 I maintain on 3 separate occasions and scrubbed the bejesus out of them. Just do it in tank water as previously suggested. I would get a rubbermaid tub to do it in, 14g is a good size, or I think 22 or 26 is a little bigger and nice for working space. Get one of those plastic bristled kitchen scrubbers and be ready to patch up your hands. Band aids...

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com