Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Affordable live rock?

I want to setup my snowflake moray eel tank but all my local fish store charge about 12 dollars a pound and the rocks they have are huge. Is there a site that sells affordable live rock? Also how many lbs do i need for a 40 gallon breeder

Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Minimum is 1 pound per gallon, preferably more. I have close to 17 pounds in my 10g nano.

I believe BulkReefSupply sells cheaper than that. If this is a new tank that needs to be cycles just buy a bunch of dry rock, it will cure during the cycle. You can get like 5-10 pounds of live just as kick start.

Big rocks=sledgehammer

Caleb

Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is dry rock actually TBH this is my first saltwater tank lol
Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelCichlid View Post
What is dry rock actually TBH this is my first saltwater tank lol

Dry rock is exactly what the name suggests. It is rock (native to reefs) that has dried out and no longer holds bacteria on it. While your tank is in cycling, bacteria will begin to grow on the rock. You may also have some bacteria die. This process is known as curing.

Caleb
Old 08-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Dry rock is exactly what the name suggests. It is rock (native to reefs) that has dried out and no longer holds bacteria on it. While your tank is in cycling, bacteria will begin to grow on the rock. You may also have some bacteria die. This process is known as curing.

Caleb
oh thanks cool guy you're a cool dude and i'm going to assume that cycling a saltwater tank is the same as freshwater
Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't even need any live rock. You can save your money for a skimmer to put on your system since eels are such sloppy eaters.
And cycling is easy, put a cocktail shrimp into some old pantyhose and let it rot in there. Much easier than using pure ammonia IMO.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You don't even need any live rock. You can save your money for a skimmer to put on your system since eels are such sloppy eaters.
And cycling is easy, put a cocktail shrimp into some old pantyhose and let it rot in there. Much easier than using pure ammonia IMO.
I was told that having rocks would make the moral eel feel more secure so I think i might go with the rock too
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelCichlid View Post
I was told that having rocks would make the moral eel feel more secure so I think i might go with the rock too

Hank means you don't need any live rock, just get dry.

Caleb
Old 08-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Correct. They are hiders but are also escape artists. I had one for a very short period of time and it was one hard bugger to catch. I watched him jump into different tanks at my LFS. So make sure it is very secure.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com