Afraid to turn on my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm gonna try it it's probably not going to happen until the weekend but I will definitely let you guys know how I make out. I truly appreciate everyone's advice and input on this thank you all

Unless you put a valve on the section back to the sump it won't work real well. Water takes the path of least resistance. If the line back to the sump is left completely open then all the water will be just pumped back to the sump.

(to DT)
/
|
\
(valve)
/
|
|-------(valve)------(to sump)------
|
|
\
(return pump)

The valve between the "T" and the DT may not be needed but just in case I would put it in anyway.

Thanks for the diagram I can't say that's how I was gonna do it lol that make so much more sense now again thank you

Well blert I took your advice and hooked my sump turn like you said and put a mag 9.5 on it instead of the mag 24 and it works like a charm I add about a 4 or 5" sand bed now all I need is some algae for it and I should be good to go I also put in about 40 lb of LR where the overflows drain in if any one can think of anything else I should do or need please fill free to let me know thank you

Glad to here it's working good.
If you are near the Florida Space Coast I have a clump of Cheato you are welcome to.

Lol thank you but I'm in pa, I wish I could find a reef club around here that would be so cool

staticmap

Hello I have another question I bought this overflow box when I bought my tank well it came with it I forgot about it mainly because me nor the guy I got it from new nothing about it I did a little research and I think its all here all except there's a hole on the top and I now that's where your suppose to hook an aqua lift pump up to it. So what is suppose to be in the hole would an airline check valve work it is a CPR overflow here are a couple of pictures

Attachments

• image-22910273.jpg
    image-22910273.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2575326277.jpg
    image-2575326277.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 46
There is supposed to be a little male end sticking out of that hole you would hook the airline to. You might be able to find it at the LFS, but if not you can contact a reseller of these and they will be able to hook you up.

Well I found a web site that sales replacement parts for my CPR overflow box I was missing three parts and they had them all. I shut my sump down because I had my hands in the tank messing around and I noticed both overflows lost siphon and the tank was about to overflow I no it was because I was in there messing around but it scared me lol so I'm letting it off for a couple days until my parts come I'm not real happy with the site I ordered from because I paid six extra dollars to have it by today and guess what it didn't come so now I will not get it until Tuesday because of the holiday. I could of had a long weekend to mess with it. Just wanted to ly everyone no how I've been making out

Just make sure you keep an aqua lifter or a power head attached to that port on the CPR overflow. That design is notorious for bubble accumulation and when the bubble gets too big you have a wet mess.

All yeah I forgot to mention that I ordered an aqua lift and it came in two days lol

Another suggestion- replace that aqualifter pump about every year. It seems that the seals inside it wear out over time and it just pulls less and less until it no longer does the job.

Back
Top Bottom