Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Afraid to turn on my sump

Hello everyone just wanted to tell someone that I got my sump refugium all plumed today since my wife has no clue what I have even built lol. Problem is I'm afraid to turn it on I used a 55 to build it and I have it in my basement ready to put water rocks and sand in it tomorrow and plug it in not even sure it will work I built two DIY overflows 1 1/2" and got a mag 24 for a return. Any thoughts of what is gonna happen when I plug it in and prime the overflows

Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Water is gonna flow when you plug it in.. it might not be flowing exactly where you want it but it will flow none the less

Are you using anything as a strainer or baffles for your overflow?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was gonna put one of the wife's panty hose over it will that work is that what you mean to keep the critters out
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, but I'm worried that might not be enough. Can you share a pic of the intake?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

There not under water yet and on the one I was experimenting with a stainless steel strainer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3369821375.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	192829  
Old 08-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh nice. I'm not sure how well that will stand up to the salt water but a strainer like that would work. You could also drill homes in a piece of PVC that fits over that. However, you might get a bit of noise out of that setup.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spechty37 View Post
There not under water yet and on the one I was experimenting with a stainless steel strainer
I do see one problem, the solid pvc is something that blocks your sight which can be potentially problematic. Here is an overflow I bought for my 20g which shows that air routinely builds up in the tubing. About once a month I have to take steps to remedy this so that the siphon doesn't break.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure what you mean about solid PVC could you please explain it to me thank you
Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

what Mebbid is talking about it the fact that you cant see if air is building up in the elbow when it does you'll lose the siphon. It wont be a problem, Im using the same type overflows as you when the flow drops off i just draw off any air through the valves Those strainers will restrict the flow a bit so a mag 24 might be to much of a return pump

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

One solution to avoid air pocket to that U-tube overflow is to have a lifting pump connected to the check valve and continuously running together with your return pump.
If there is no reservoir on the back to maintain the level with your DT, that thing will not work.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com