Afraid to turn on my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone just wanted to tell someone that I got my sump refugium all plumed today since my wife has no clue what I have even built lol. Problem is I'm afraid to turn it on I used a 55 to build it and I have it in my basement ready to put water rocks and sand in it tomorrow and plug it in not even sure it will work I built two DIY overflows 1 1/2" and got a mag 24 for a return. Any thoughts of what is gonna happen when I plug it in and prime the overflows

Water is gonna flow when you plug it in.. it might not be flowing exactly where you want it but it will flow none the less :)

Are you using anything as a strainer or baffles for your overflow?

I was gonna put one of the wife's panty hose over it will that work is that what you mean to keep the critters out

Yeah, but I'm worried that might not be enough. Can you share a pic of the intake?

There not under water yet and on the one I was experimenting with a stainless steel strainer

Attachments

• image-3369821375.jpg
    image-3369821375.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 198
Ahh nice. I'm not sure how well that will stand up to the salt water but a strainer like that would work. You could also drill homes in a piece of PVC that fits over that. However, you might get a bit of noise out of that setup.

There not under water yet and on the one I was experimenting with a stainless steel strainer

I do see one problem, the solid pvc is something that blocks your sight which can be potentially problematic. Here is an overflow I bought for my 20g which shows that air routinely builds up in the tubing. About once a month I have to take steps to remedy this so that the siphon doesn't break.

75748-albums12252-picture60751.jpg

Not sure what you mean about solid PVC could you please explain it to me thank you

what Mebbid is talking about it the fact that you cant see if air is building up in the elbow when it does you'll lose the siphon. It wont be a problem, Im using the same type overflows as you when the flow drops off i just draw off any air through the valves Those strainers will restrict the flow a bit so a mag 24 might be to much of a return pump

One solution to avoid air pocket to that U-tube overflow is to have a lifting pump connected to the check valve and continuously running together with your return pump.
If there is no reservoir on the back to maintain the level with your DT, that thing will not work.

DIY PVC overflows can be a little sketchy. I second the statement that the mag24 may be too much pump for them depending on head pressure. I hope you put a valve on the return line so you can turn it down if needed.

Please prime the overflows before you plug it in. ;)

Are both of the overflow inlets at the same height? If so, you may have issues with one of them constantly losing syphon and then the other not being able to keep up. Make one inlet slightly taller than the other. The short one will run under full syphon and the taller one will take up the slack.

Best of luck.

The reason air builds up in the J tube is because your pump isn't strong enough. It's got to be closely matched to the overflow GPH.

Yes both overflows are the same height I will cut one shorter and the reason I got the mag 24 is because I have about 7 or 8 feet of head do you still think it will be to big I'm gone finish will all the little things and plug it in and all yeah I will start the siphon on my returns I will let you know how it goes any more advice is appreciated thank you

I forgot to ask what can I put over the ends to keep my critters out any suggestion the strainer thing I got on there will probably restrict the flow so any thoughts

That stainless strainer will definitely rot away. Why not just construct a surface skimmer box with teeth and put the pipes inside that?

Never thought about that let me ponder this idea for a little sounds like a good idea thanks

If you don't go that route bulkhead strainers will work better than the stainless ones.

Well I did it I plugged it in with the help of my wife i just have one question why is one of my DIY overflows seem like it takes a couple seconds to build up water and then kinda releases with like a gurgling sound does that mean there air trapped in that one every thing else seem ok hope I can sleep tonight lol

Back
Top Bottom