After 2 Years in Retirement IM BACK!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well its been over 2 years since i have had a SW tank setup! My 125gal reef tank is now going to be coming out of the basement, and into my new home! I will be building the stand and canopy this weekend, and will take some pictures. My LR, Sand, and other items will have to be cleaned, and reused. I have about 200lbs of LR and about 3inches of sand.

What is the best way to clean and reuse my old LR and Sand? I have heard numerous ways and "rumors" and just want to get some input...

And any other suggestions on what and how i should setup would be great!

I will also be making my own DIY Acrylic Sump 60"Lx12"dx12"H any ideas on how i should patition it and build?
TIA

The LR I would just scrub real good and then put it in the tank and cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. I dont ever reuse old sand BTW welcome back. Just too much trash in it but that`s up to you.

Thanks! Most people have just told me to rinse the sand also and just stir it during the cycle?? Do you think that would be ok? Cant really get cheap live sand here up in MN they dont sell "knock off" sand I dont think at any of the retail places. Any ideas?

I agree...scrub the rock and rinse the sand. I highly recommend the addition of some fully cured LR and some mature substrate from an established tank to seed new growth. check out www.tcmas.org and you may be able to find some substrate or LR from the members there.

Cant really get cheap live sand here up in MN they dont sell "knock off" sand I dont think at any of the retail places. Any ideas?

Well get cheap dry sand then. I dont put much stock in that "live sand" bit anyway.

Here is some pictures of the diy stand and canopy that im building still need to paint and put doors on!

Attachments

• Stand and Canopy 001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Stand and Canopy 001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Stand and Canopy 002.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 002.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Stand and Canopy 003.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Stand and Canopy 004.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 004.jpg