Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

After 3 days of darkness, lps not doing well

Don't know what's going on. Parameters are perfect. Nitrate 0, calcium 460, kh is 6 trying to raise it. There is Brown algae on my zoas, they won't open anymore. Now my lps won't open to much. Salt level 1.025. What's going on??? I did three days of darkness and the dino dissapeared! Hurray, but the frogspawn and hammer don't look good. Before the dark days, I added some powder to raise kh, and they suddenly retracted. Maybe I should've premixed it first instead of throwing it in? I'm worried. Nitrates are up to 20, doing water change now

Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

See picture. Lps on top not doing well!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421302626195.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	261126  

Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, it's a definite no-no to add powder directly to the tank. Water changes to correct things and wait it out now.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The good news is you can still see the polyps, they are just retracted. Thats usually a sign it will recover. By adjusting the kh with powder then 3 days of dark you pretty much change their entire environment, I'm not surprised they are hiding. Water change and wait, that's what I would do...
Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
The good news is you can still see the polyps, they are just retracted. Thats usually a sign it will recover. By adjusting the kh with powder then 3 days of dark you pretty much change their entire environment, I'm not surprised they are hiding. Water change and wait, that's what I would do...

I did a water change yesterday (5 gallons, tank is about 23/24 gallons), should I do another one really soon or is that enough? Those are my favorite coral on top. The wall hammer is awesome, and the frogspawn went from 1 head to 8 heads. I don't want to lose them. I noticed some of them spitting out brown gue from their heads.

Tags
lps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com