After all that work, My Nitrates went back to 40ppms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Trates used 2 b 160ppms. I did a 3-week aggressive clean up. I cleaned up all my filtration, skimmer, rocks, I removed all of them and syphoned the bottom, and I did enormouse amounts of pwc.

The pwc was this: 20G pwc once every 3 days, then 10G every other day, then 10G every week.

My nitrates went down to 10 ppms. I donated my trigger back to the LFS and now I did a pwc again after a week and a half. I got a reading of 40 ppms. Wow, all that work.....what happened?

Setup: 55G 4-ft tank with two (2) HOB Powerfilter 60, a Prizm Skimmer, a 400GPH PH with in tank quickfilter attachment, a 175GPH PH with wave maker attachment, and an Orbit 4x65 PC with Moonlight. I have 60 lbs of lr, 3 inches of ls (and a thin layer of cc beneath all that).

I have a maroon clown (2 inches) and a Blue Hippo Tang (2.5 inches). I also have one dozen small hermit crabs.

I don't see myself pwc-ing 10G per week. It's just tiring. I see myself changing 5G per week, but not 10. And I am a very patient person. however, I don't think my efforts are going anywhere. It's a waste! I don't have space for a HOB CPR fuge, and I have a coffee table tested for 900 lbs from Ikea. I don't have space beneath for anything.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Calcium 300 - 320, pH 8.3, temp 79F - 82F, Nitrates 40 ppms. Filtered tap (Carico 7-stage countertop filtration) reads zero Nitrates. I have green hair algae all over my rocks still. I don't think they are going away as long as there is food (nitrates). I use InstantOcean salt.

You should get some critters to work your sand bed. I think 55 nassarius snails would do nice. Try feeding 3x a week, this helped me quite a bit as well.

Try checking your PWC water for phosphates. This could be a contributor to your algea. As far as tha nitrates cut back on your feedings.

no if u keep doing 5g water change it will get u no where. If u want a quick solution to drop ur nitrate will be doing 50% water change every 3-4 days in 2 weeks ur nitrate should go back to normal, BUT!!!!! It just fix ur currrent problem not the root of the problem. U need to find out watz causing that nitrate spike soone ror later or u will face this all over again.
Btw, the more clean up u do to the sandbed the more possible u might break the sandbed and realeased ur nitrate. If u just syphoned the top layer without disturbing the deeper part of the sandbed it should be ok,however, if after u syphoned the sand bed ur water getting cloudy, that means u broke down the sandbed system which build up over the cycling process. That means u will need to wait till it settle down and start rebuilding the whole system. Try read more into the sandbed system from WWM so u will at least know wat u might did wrong.

I did recently do a deep syphon of the sand bed. That's probably an aspect that made it worse. Thanks. I did get some brown water out to the bucket. And I ask myself "Wait a minute, my water is crystal clear, but I got this brownish water from my tank. Wow, this came from my tank. All a long it was in there". I might have distrubed the deep sand....

In terms of the tester, that's another possibility. It's a year old tester from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

I ordered Rowa-Phos, Phosphate tester, and AZ-NO3 from marinedepot today. I am planning on doing this de-nitrate-ing using chemicals above.

Please do give me some feedbacks on those products in relation to phospate and nitrates. Thank you. And thanks for the responses above as well.

I have found that checking trates can be trikey. On my home kit they always show up at 60ppm or higher. But when ever I take my water to the fish store they are at 0. So maybe try a different test kit.

Back
Top Bottom