Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

aggression....

Purchased 2 new additions for my tank today. Copperband Butterfly and an Anthias (was supposed to be one of the peaceful variety....not so much), to go along with the Ocellaris Clown, 2 Bangii Cardinals and 2 Green Chromis (trading them in soon). He hid for an hour or so in the rocks and then ventured out like I figured he would. The copperband is wonderful....never hid and started picking around for food within minutes so I think he is going to be fine. Long story short...dinnertime came around and, we'll call him, "Attitude" the Anthias, is a holy terror. He chased EVERYONE around, including the butterfly who is twice his size to the point that it is turning around and flaring it's spines at him. Would it be wise to net him tomorrow and take him back to LFS? He is calming down a little and minding his business for the most part but still going after them when he gets close to them. I just don't want everyone else in the tank to get stressed to the point they get sick when I could possibly trade in for something more peaceful, like the white tail bristletooth tang I have my eye on

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. What kind of anthias is it? My bartletts is so peaceful, have never had any problems with him at all. He swims around with my chromis, they've "adopted" him into their school.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

here's a pic of him...told them what I currently have in tank and they said they will be fine together....he was in a tank with about 5 or 6 others, none of which were other anthias and he was behaving....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	126924  
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeladawng
here's a pic of him...told them what I currently have in tank and they said they will be fine together....he was in a tank with about 5 or 6 others, none of which were other anthias and he was behaving....
They behave much better in groups. Being single will cause that. They say they need to be in odd numbers of at least three.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anthias are a schooling fish.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

just my luck....well he's going back...he has taken occupancy of the entire aquascape and won't let anyone get in the nooks and crannies at all...the copperband is still picking at the rocks and swimming around like he's ok for now but I smell trouble in the water if I keep him. The clown and cardinals are in one corner at the top hiding behind a powerhead and the chromis could care less...they just change direction when they see him.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where are you getting the whitetail bristletooth? My tomini died recently and I want a whitetail next but never find any.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've read that the whitetail is very difficult to find. I've never seen one at any of my LFS, and I've heard that even online they are back-ordered.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

getting one at a lfs in my area. they have 2...very cool looking fish although the 2 that he has look nothing like the one showing on liveaquaria. the one on live aquaria looks like it's marroon in color and the tail doesn't look very white, but his are more of a dark blue/grey and the tail is VERY white...well, at least that's what my eyes are seeing....

Tags
aggression

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com