aggression....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
Purchased 2 new additions for my tank today. Copperband Butterfly and an Anthias (was supposed to be one of the peaceful variety....not so much), to go along with the Ocellaris Clown, 2 Bangii Cardinals and 2 Green Chromis (trading them in soon). He hid for an hour or so in the rocks and then ventured out like I figured he would. The copperband is wonderful....never hid and started picking around for food within minutes so I think he is going to be fine. Long story short...dinnertime came around and, we'll call him, "Attitude" the Anthias, is a holy terror. He chased EVERYONE around, including the butterfly who is twice his size to the point that it is turning around and flaring it's spines at him. Would it be wise to net him tomorrow and take him back to LFS? He is calming down a little and minding his business for the most part but still going after them when he gets close to them. I just don't want everyone else in the tank to get stressed to the point they get sick when I could possibly trade in for something more peaceful, like the white tail bristletooth tang I have my eye on :brows:

Wow. What kind of anthias is it? My bartletts is so peaceful, have never had any problems with him at all. He swims around with my chromis, they've "adopted" him into their school.

here's a pic of him...told them what I currently have in tank and they said they will be fine together....he was in a tank with about 5 or 6 others, none of which were other anthias and he was behaving....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 67
angeladawng said:
here's a pic of him...told them what I currently have in tank and they said they will be fine together....he was in a tank with about 5 or 6 others, none of which were other anthias and he was behaving....

They behave much better in groups. Being single will cause that. They say they need to be in odd numbers of at least three.

just my luck....well he's going back...he has taken occupancy of the entire aquascape and won't let anyone get in the nooks and crannies at all...the copperband is still picking at the rocks and swimming around like he's ok for now but I smell trouble in the water if I keep him. The clown and cardinals are in one corner at the top hiding behind a powerhead and the chromis could care less...they just change direction when they see him.

I've read that the whitetail is very difficult to find. I've never seen one at any of my LFS, and I've heard that even online they are back-ordered.

getting one at a lfs in my area. they have 2...very cool looking fish although the 2 that he has look nothing like the one showing on liveaquaria. the one on live aquaria looks like it's marroon in color and the tail doesn't look very white, but his are more of a dark blue/grey and the tail is VERY white...well, at least that's what my eyes are seeing....

Back
Top Bottom