Aggressive reef fish stocking (150g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys!

I'm just about to pick up a 150 gallon cube tank this weekend. The plan is to make it a reef tank, mostly LPS and softies. It's dimensions are 36x36x27. Anyway, this is my first large tank, so I would like some help with stocking.

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a reef tank with aggressive fish. Obviously, most of these fish tend to be large, messy eaters and will have an increased bioload, which is why I intend to stick with hardy corals and a good skimmer. Anyway, possible stock includes:

Volitans or dwarf lionfish
Triggerfish(Niger/humu humu?)
Large wrasses(banana, lunar)
Small tang(I know a 36" cube isn't ideal for an adult tang, but one of the smallere species should have ample swimming room if there is appropriate passageways between the liverock?)
Harlequin tusk

I'd love to have peoples opinions on whether those fish are a possibility in this size tank, and any personal experience on those fish would be welcome. This is just planning.

--Adeeb

This is a tough one.... I would definitly try and stay away from the tangs and triggers as much as possible because your tank is only 36" long, but it is deep so it wouldnt be the end of the world if you got one. If you do decide for a tang and trigger get the smaller and less agressive species like the niger and a kole or something

I agree. This is actually my fav kind of tank. And aggressive reef. It's difficult to keep parameters in check thigh, so watch out.

It's difficult to keep parameters in check thigh, so watch out.
Yep, gonna get an overrated skimmer on this one for sure xD And with tangs, I have no problem rehoming when it gets too large for the tank.

--Adeeb

Here's what I know about your list...

Humu Humu's are awesome but they eat the clean up crew. If you plan on having snails or hermits forget it, they'll eat them. They have teeth that they use to crush shells so you'll have to pick up some raw shrimp with the shell on to feed them. If they just eat mysis the teeth grow and they can get lock jaw or not be able to eat anymore cause food can't get through.

Wrasse's jump, if you get them make sure you have a lid.

Lionfish need to be weened onto frozen and its taking forever for mine. he's finally eating one krill a day so I think he's got the taste but he still perfers live feeder fish. If you buy a lion ask the store to feed it and watch. If he eats frozen you're good to go, if he wont take it and they say he's just not hungry its bs cause they will eat till they die if they recognize it as food.

Its a challenging little group you have there but all awesome fish, you'll love it once your reef starts getting established and your humu humu starts letting you pet it and your lionfish starts begging like a dog for food.

Here's what I know about your list...

Humu Humu's are awesome but they eat the clean up crew. If you plan on having snails or hermits forget it, they'll eat them. They have teeth that they use to crush shells so you'll have to pick up some raw shrimp with the shell on to feed them. If they just eat mysis the teeth grow and they can get lock jaw or not be able to eat anymore cause food can't get through.

Wrasse's jump, if you get them make sure you have a lid.

Lionfish need to be weened onto frozen and its taking forever for mine. he's finally eating one krill a day so I think he's got the taste but he still perfers live feeder fish. If you buy a lion ask the store to feed it and watch. If he eats frozen you're good to go, if he wont take it and they say he's just not hungry its bs cause they will eat till they die if they recognize it as food.

Its a challenging little group you have there but all awesome fish, you'll love it once your reef starts getting established and your humu humu starts letting you pet it and your lionfish starts begging like a dog for food.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a CUC for triggers. Though I've heard cerith snails can work because they stay in the sand, and urchins for algae instead of snails. We'll have to see about that. I have a screen lid, so jumping isn't a problem. There's an oriental store nearby too, that sells raw shrimp and other seafood.

I'll be sure to get a lionfish that's eating, thanks for the tip. Or perhaps I'll go down to Florida and catch one, since they're an invasive species there. It's too bad ORA doesn't sell them xD

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a CUC for triggers. Though I've heard cerith snails can work because they stay in the sand, and urchins for algae instead of snails. We'll have to see about that. I have a screen lid, so jumping isn't a problem. There's an oriental store nearby too, that sells raw shrimp and other seafood.

I'll be sure to get a lionfish that's eating, thanks for the tip. Or perhaps I'll go down to Florida and catch one, since they're an invasive species there. It's too bad ORA doesn't sell them xD

--Adeeb

Cerith snails don't stay in the sand, mine go all over the place.

My ceriths stay under the sand until dark. My humu humu never ate them cause when the lights go out he found a ledge to wedge himself into like triggers do. I miss that guy, he was teh best. Don't let your mom tank sit...lol I came back to an empty tank, all the fish died cause she forgot to top off my open top for weeks. Lesson learned...:lol:

My ceriths stay under the sand until dark. My humu humu never ate them cause when the lights go out he found a ledge to wedge himself into like triggers do. I miss that guy, he was teh best. Don't let your mom tank sit...lol I came back to an empty tank, all the fish died cause she forgot to top off my open top for weeks. Lesson learned...:lol:
Ouch that sounds terrible lol. If not ceriths, then nessarius should work, for the sandbed at least.

--Adeeb

How about a male blue throat trigger? Possibly a mated pair of them?

If u want the triggers I would stay away from the lion. It might nip and kill it.

Harliqan tusk(however its spelled) absolutely beautiful fish

Blue throats are really cool fish (semi-aggressive though) and are "with caution" for reefs. I had a male in a FOWLR years ago and loved it. Same with the Harlequin Tusk. Had one and loved it (same as blue throat...semi-ag and reefs with caution).

So here's what I'm thinking:
Dwarf lionfish(haven't decided on species yet)
Picasso trigger
Kole tang
Papuan Toby Puffer
Harlequin tusk
Maybe a banana or similar wrasse

I'd get small juvies, and by the time they outgrow the tank, I'd either be upgrading or trade them off. Now as far as bioload and space, can I add all of them assuming I have an adequate skimmer and keep up on water changes? I've been mostly freshwater until now, so my SW stocking skills aren't up to speed. Also what would be the best order of adding them to minimize aggression?

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom