Agressive clown ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I bought 3 small blue/green chromis and they look great, I have had my clowns for over a year and they have taken to a flower pot coral, they are really aggressive to the chromis if they come to close to there coral. I'm pretty sure it's down to territory but is this some thing that they will get used to or should I think about returning them?

I think your clowns will be very agressive towards any fish you add. Either get rid of the clowns, or probably wont be able to add any more fish. Or maybe the agression will stop and everythings good ;)

True I think, I added a coral beauty about 3 months ago and had no problem but it was alot bigger than the clowns

Clowns are very territorial, if you rearrange your rocks , it should confuse the clowns and they shouldn't bother them.

you'd have to rearrage the rocks and remove then so they get used to a new enviroment. if you have a sump refugium put them in there for a few week

So I moved their host coral to the side and their behaviour has improved a lot, I'll just have to keep a close eye, cheers guys

You can also remove the more aggressive fish from the tank and QT them leaving the more docile fish in the tank, after a few days reintroduce the more aggressive fish back to the tank. This should disrupt their territorial behavior causing them to then adapt.

Still haven't specified which clowns they are though, which could make all the difference in this situation. It could just be that they are showing the new fish what the pecking order is, meaning who gets to eat first and what territory they own which usually happens for the more mildly aggressive clownfish such as percs and ocellaris. OR, it could just be flat out aggression aimed to kill the new tank mate, which usually happens with much more aggressive clowns like Tomato clowns.

Glad that rearranging some things helped though.

Another tip; turning off the lights for 10-15 minutes will also stop the fighting.

Back
Top Bottom