Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
For example they have a single 36W, a single 55W, a dual 36W and a dual 55W and a single 96W lighting kits and they all ship with the exact same ballast.
FF, what do you mean by the same exact ballast? A ballast for a 36W single will light 2 55W PCs? I think I misunderstood your post.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Mark,

Thats my understanding. I have a dual 36W kit on my 20 gal tank. Last year I contacted them about wanting to up my lights to 55W and I asked them if I needed to get a new ballast and they told me NO. They said the ballast I had would lamp the two 55W bulbs just as good as it fired the 36W bulbs.

Then last summer when I got my 4 X 96W kit for the 80 I got 4 ballasts that where of the same type as I have on my dual 36W kit. The labling says they can output a max of 110W. So that is what lead me to belive that they ship the same ballast for any light kit that uses a sum of less than 110W.

Course these statments are just comming from observation. I think we are lucky to have a real electrican as a member so hopefuly he can clarify all this.

Or maybe we should e-mail ahsupply and ask if they could clarrify it for us...

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
I think we are lucky to have a real electrican as a member
Who is that?
Old 03-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Not sure but I was just guessing that maiceman was one or at least had more electrical background than I.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mark knows who it is... LOL. He was my lead man for 3 years. Although I have not been working as an electrician since before that... what 10 years ago now I think.

As for power compacts I have zero experience but the single end cap makes sense now. I am surprised that the same ballasts is being shipped for different wattage lamps though. I would expect that there is some change in performance and life depending on which end of the range you are running. The lower wattage lamps are probably being overdriven and the life of the lamp would be shorter which is what I expect they are doing rather then under driving the higher wattage and getting a longer life out of them.

The hole power compact lighting is pretty new to me so there is probably much more to the ballasts & lamp design then the old standard that I learned on. There may be some sort of soft start circuit integrated in them to protect from blowing lower wattage lamps... Who knows.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
well, it's fully functional now. i tested it out with a bulb from a desk lamp some guy down the hall picked up at wal-mart. i could only test out one endcap at a time, but even still, it was way brighter (with just one bulb) than the screw in 13 watts i have over the nano for the time being. now all i have to do is wait for my bulbs (hellolights 50/50's), and wait for the tank to cycle, and do something about that horribly ugly aptasia.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Maiceman, DId not know you knew mark. Either way I think (note this is once again me and my observations) that the only real difference between a 36W and a 55W and a 96W PC bulb is its lenght.

Now there are suttle differences when it relates to the pin configs and all but overall a 36W bulb is about 18" in lenght and a 55W bulb is just under 24" and a 96W bulb is 36" long.

tyler, it sounds like your talking about a 13W PC kit then. If thats the case then yes each ballast goes to its own bulb. I have a 2 X 13 W kit from them for when I had my 45 gal up and running. I used 2 X 13W actinic bulbs. Back then the ballast was just a small white square with some wires comming out if it. No real diagram on it.

Old 03-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
sounds exactly like the ballasts that came with my kit. my friend picked up the 2x36 ah delux brightkit. a bit fancier than mine, i'd say, but i have more light than i know what to do with now, so all is good.

Tags
supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com