Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
ah supply wiring question

this might be more appropriate in the diy forums, but it's for my nano reef, so i'm posting here.

my question is do i have to wire this in series or parallel or will either work?

here is a diagram of how i currently have it wired, but this can easily be changed.

Old 03-03-2003, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

God.. .don't plug it in if that is how you have it wired...... It looks like you have 2 ballasts feeding 1 tube between the 2 sockets..... Is that right?

You can wire the 2 ballasts to a single cord without any problem but I hope you are not feeding 2 separate ballasts into the same tube.

I have my ballasts set up with 3 plugs so I can disonnect them and remove the hood easily. 1 plug carries the neuteral wires that are shared with both tubes. 1 carries the hot wires for a single tube and the last one carries the hot wires for the other tube.

Old 03-03-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you cut the connection between the two light sockets you should be OK.

Each ballast must be connected to their respected bulbs independant so also make sure if you have two ballasts you have two plugs for the electric.

I am guessing what is labled as the light socket is acually the endcap for the bulbs.

If your ballast can drive two bulbs then you can wire two endcaps to one ballst but dont connect two ballasts to two bulbs like you have diagramed below.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

better?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yep.

Personally i would wire two power cords vs wiring one powercord two ways.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:50 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
do i have to wire this in series or parallel or will either work?
You will wire the two ballasts to the 110v plug in PARALLEL, not series.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

why would you wire it to two cords?
Old 03-04-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

For safety.

Having two ballasts connect to one outlet would in effect draw twice as much current thru the electtrical plug and wiring. While the electrical cord and wires inside that cord are probably of a gauge that the extra current would be ok I personally would not want to run the risk of a short circuit.

If your sort on plugs you could get a good heavy duity outlet strip and plut the two cords into one socket that way but I would still wire up them totally independant.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

The number of devices do not increase the chances of short circuits through a cord. A single 40 watt lamp only draws .33 amps so the current is not even close to an issue (P=IxV). Always use 3 wire cords & GFCI outlets, they are your only true protection. If you have room do your wire splicing in a water tight box and use compression type connectors... not wire nuts.

I am still concerned with your lighting drawing and will refer you to the drawing on the ballasts itself. I think you will find that a ballasts will supply 2 end caps (1 tube), and most will supply 4 end caps (2 tubes). I have read about driving a single VHO with a 2 tube ballasts but I have never seen a wireing set up like you have drawn.

I will try and find a way to draw a detailed wiring schematic for you that I can load as a jpeg... I only have ACAD & paintbrush.... neither of which I can load onto this site.

Are your ballasts single lamp or 2 lamp type? Are they electronic?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:51 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Maceman, these ballasts are driving power compact florecents. There is only one end cap per bulb.

I know they are power compact cause thats all ahsupply sells.

They also market depending on wattage differnt size ballasts. They have one that is rated at 110W I think and then they have a much smaller one they use for the low wattage bulbs like their 13W bulbs.

For example they have a single 36W, a single 55W, a dual 36W and a dual 55W and a single 96W lighting kits and they all ship with the exact same ballast. But if you get a dual 96W kit you get two ballasts.

Im no electrican so I was not up on the whole guage vs amp thing.

You can upload the following file types
  • gif* ief* jpe* jpeg* jpg* pbm* pgm* png* pnm* ppm* ras* rgb* tif* tiff* xbm* xpm* xwd*

File size limit of 125KB.

If its something other than that e-mail me and ill give you my real e-mail addy so you can send it to me via attachment and ill host the image for a breif period.

Tags
supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com