Ahner's 40B reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some kinda acro and a monti.

Attachments

• image-1711448235.jpg
    image-1711448235.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3205486900.jpg
    image-3205486900.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 110
I was reading about the green slimer and its like exactly what I wanted. So I had to call the store back and find out for sure. And yup that exactly what it is.

OMG!!!!! I have never wanted to pull a Homer Simpson and straight up strangle a kid, till about an hour ago. My girlfriend had a friend over today and she brought her kids. Her thirteen year old already pissed me off after about an hour. He smacked my girlfriends 4 year old son in the face with a stick. He got in trouble whatever. But then they left and I went in my room to change my daughters diaper and I see my skimmer overflowing. So I go over, crank it down, scratch my head, look over at my tank and my new acro frag is laying down on the sand. Then I look in the front and the glass is like covered in salt from splashing, both sides of my magnet scraper are down on the sand, and my fresh bucket of ro has all dirt floating in the top. Grrrrrr!!!!!! The thing pissing me off most is my skimmer overflowing. He didn't mess with the gate. So god knows what the hell he put in my tank. I wanted to post this right after it happened but I was so mad I had to just chill and go take a shower.

Man I wish I had a good camera. This acro glows so nice under my moonlights.

Attachments

• image-564059835.jpg
    image-564059835.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 139
My girlfriend gives me sooo much crap about how much time I spend on my tank and on my phone looking at this forum. But a little bit ago I walked in my room to grab a heater for this freshwater tank in our living room, and I look threw the side of my tank and I had to do a triple take. I suddenly have an extra clown!!!! I had to do a triple take, I thought it was a reflection. Lmfao

Attachments

• image-2584700823.jpg
    image-2584700823.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 123
Just a warning to anyone using a reefkeeper. The pc4 uses two different kinda switches on their outlets. 1 & 4 are I think regular relays, but 2 & 3 are triacs (? I guess that's how you spell it and I don't really know what they are) I read this somewhere but they didn't make a big deal about it and I just kinda brushed it off. They really need to be more clear about the potential problems this can cause. I had my aqualifter pump on channel 3 running my ato and it kept sticking on. This happend twice, a week or so ago. Today I decided to look into it. My indicator light and pump would come on, the indicator light would turn off like it should, but the pump would continue to run. So I called DA thinking I had a faulty pc4. They told me that the triacs on channels 2 & 3 tend to stick on with smaller pumps. Luckily I only had ro water in my top off and I've been around to catch it pretty quick. Kalk or really anything else it coulda been a lot worse a lot faster.

Well this thread is probably going to be dead for a while. My girlfriend (well exgirlfriend) decided to go nutz the other night. I came home to all **** floating in my tank and sump. Including my rkl, additives, cologne, refractometer, cloths, man I don't even know what else. Bottom line. Crazy women and reefs don't mix well. :.-(

Took a year, but Im back. I think im done cycling, but I dont have ammonia test kit. I got two new eheim 75 watt heaters (they're pretty nice), a small reef octopus media reactor with vertex rox .8 carbon (that stuff is rediculously small and barely works in the reactor), 12 oz. chemi pure elite (doesnt fit in the reactor, so its just in the return section of sump), a ball valve to throttle back the return pump, and a gate valve to use the herbie method. I think that's everything new, glad to be back :)

I have a thread on reef fromtiers of my 40b build! I have the 6 bulbs t5ho from ebay with 4 actinics and 2 12000k i have a dsb of 3 inches in places, 2 in others, i have 239w of t5+lunar leds going through 15 inches of water. No protein skimmer and a penguin biowheel with a carbon pad. I have had zero nitrates since my cycle finished, i have some high light coral thats on the bottom of my tank. Weekly 3 gallon w/c is my only maitnence also add some reef accelerator.

Sounds like a craZy women to mee.. Maybe a dog would keep her happy? Lol if i found all that in my tank cause of my girl.. Id probably dump her lol i love reeef!!!! Shhh lol

Oh yea I ditched the deep sand bed. I like them but the oolitic is too hard to vacuum. Right now its bare bottom but ill probably add some fiji pink or some thing that dont easily vacuum up.

I wouldnt use anything other then oolitic never ever vaccum ur sandbed. That can cause tanks to crash. If its a reef and u got a cuc then never EVER i mean EVER vaccum the sandbed.

Ita alright to vacuum the top layer. If you got enough flow down there to keep it clean then its just gonna blow all over the place. It becomes a real pain in the ***.

Got my first fish last night, two onyx clowns. Oh and a small frag.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130216_105043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130216_105043.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20130216_105105.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130216_105105.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom