AI Hydra Led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I am setting up a 500 L (125 gallon) reef tank with tank dimensions 6’ wide x 18” deep x 2’ high with the intention of keeping both LPS and SPS corals, although I don’t know the mixture at this stage or where SPS will be placed. I love acros, so will probably have some places at the top. I’ve decided to go with the AI Hydra led lights each with their own arm bracket attached from the back wall. I just don’t know what combination to get, whether to have 3 x 26 HDs or 2 x 26 HD and a AI Hydra 52 in the center.

I know the 52 is double the cost of the 26 and would end up costing me an extra $1000 if I went with 1 or more 52, so don't want to spend so much more money unnecessarily or have overkill with too much light intensity if it’s not going to be much more beneficial.

Basically I want to know if 3 x 26 HD will be more than sufficient for my tank and my needs or is it much more worth putting a 52 in the middle and a 26 on either side?

Appreciate people’s thoughts and advice.

The three 26 should be more than enough. That is what I have above my system if I remember which ones they are correctly.

Thanks, so you have some sps as well? Do you have a FTS so that I can see how they look on yours? Are you happy with the hydras? I have not heard a bad thing about them.

I currently do not. I had a foxface basically nuke my tank killing hundreds of dollars worth of fish and then coral from the nutrient spike which were then finished off when I knocked a container of kalkweiser into the tank. Because I was not being very smart.

I did have SPS under them. They didn't get too far from frags.

I have run Radions and now the AI. Before Radions were wireless they were awful to program, but once things became wireless I liked how Radions programming worked over the AI's. This doesn't mean they aren't a good light or that the programming isn't easy. They both are fine, and if I remember correctly AI and Ecotech are under the same company now so it'll most likely streamline into one program I would assume. But these lights will let you do whatever you want to do with photosynthetic creatures.

Thanks for the advice and sorry to hear about the loss of fish due to that foxface. Sounds like one aggressive type of fish! I’ve decided to go with the AI, but my only dilemma is whether to settle with the 3 x 26 or have 2 x 26 and a central 52. Like I mentioned before, I don’t want to spend an extra $450 for a 52 if not really necessary and I can still get good growth and results using 3 x 26

The fish wasn't aggressive, it was just sick and I didn't QT it.

Just get the three 26, there is no need for a higher power in the middle like that. LEDs don't give a great range unless they have wide optics on them. The 26 will give all the coverage you'll need and it'll save on your pocket book. A 52 would be you wanting SPS in the sandbed.

So you think 3 x 26 HDs will be more than enough coverage for a 6’ wide x 2’ high tank? Not planning on having any sps laying on the sand.

Back
Top Bottom