aiming powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The key is to provide random currents in your tank. Your not looking to blast your corals or rock with a direct jet stream of water. To provide random currents you can take multiple powerheads and position them so they basicly shoot water at eachothers streams. This causes turblance where they two streams meet and provides you with the randomness we all look for.

A good startign placment is to put one on opposte back corners of the tank blowing toward the front middle. Another pair in the back blowing across the back of the tank or blowing toward the middle surface. Each tank is unique in how its aquascapes and subtle changes in powerhead placement or direction may be required for best results.

ok, thats good to know, but what if i only have one powerhead, and the current made from my hob filter? right now i have the filter in the back left about 5 inches from the side, and the power head all the way to the right in the back, and its turned towards the left side of the tank. should i angle its flow towards the filters flow?

You should probably aim that one towards the water surface... disturbance of the surface is also key for gas exchange.... I would do this until you get more PH's.. and mix it up a little.. .but I doub the HOB is creating enough turbulence on the surface.... just FYI

my bad man.... I've seen all the pics of LR you had and assumed it was a larger tank.... sorry bout that....... :) .... disregard any comments I've made... :)

haha no problem! i was just getting scarred then! yeah i got a lot of great stuff on my live rock props to lr.com!

Back
Top Bottom