Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

aiming powerheads

any tips, facts, suggestions?

Old 01-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The key is to provide random currents in your tank. Your not looking to blast your corals or rock with a direct jet stream of water. To provide random currents you can take multiple powerheads and position them so they basicly shoot water at eachothers streams. This causes turblance where they two streams meet and provides you with the randomness we all look for.

A good startign placment is to put one on opposte back corners of the tank blowing toward the front middle. Another pair in the back blowing across the back of the tank or blowing toward the middle surface. Each tank is unique in how its aquascapes and subtle changes in powerhead placement or direction may be required for best results.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok, thats good to know, but what if i only have one powerhead, and the current made from my hob filter? right now i have the filter in the back left about 5 inches from the side, and the power head all the way to the right in the back, and its turned towards the left side of the tank. should i angle its flow towards the filters flow?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should probably aim that one towards the water surface... disturbance of the surface is also key for gas exchange.... I would do this until you get more PH's.. and mix it up a little.. .but I doub the HOB is creating enough turbulence on the surface.... just FYI
Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

more PHs? its only a 10 gallon tank!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally I would only use one. more than one would be way too much current I would think.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my bad man.... I've seen all the pics of LR you had and assumed it was a larger tank.... sorry bout that....... .... disregard any comments I've made...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

haha no problem! i was just getting scarred then! yeah i got a lot of great stuff on my live rock props to lr.com!

Tags
powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com