Aiptaisia Outbreak, your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is a video of my aiptaisia outbreak. I went and bought Aiptaisia X recommended by my LFS. I've watched a few videos on you tube of people using it but I haven't gotten the courage yet to go ahead and do it myself. So far in all reality the aiptaisia haven't caused me any problems yet. There is about 4 larger ones and a dozen or so of small ones. The larger ones look kind of cool, how bad is this outbreak in my tank? And how bad is it to just leave them be?

I'm also a little affraid to apply this Aiptaisia X in my tank, will it kill anything else it drips on? Watching the videos of people applying seem to get it all over the place, will it destroy the live rock it touches? Or any other corals? I know to turn off all powerheads and pumps but what about when you turn them back on and it blows all over the place?

Here is a pic of the larger ones and a video of the smaller ones, I'm assuming they are smaller aiptaisia but it's hard to tell.

YouTube - Aiptaisia Outbreak

I think there are some shrimp and fish that will eat them but i cant remember the name of them off hand and have one draw back what do they eat after the aiptasia is gone. From what ive read if left alone they will take over your tank and can sting some coral. Ive heard of using a syringe full of very HOT water and squirting it directly on the aiptesia will kill it. But not sure. I just had some pop up on my SS and i just used a spoon to scoop it and the surrounding SS up and pitched it. Can u get the rock out that has it on it? Do a search on it for some ideas

The names your looking for are peppermint shrimp, and copperbanded butterfly fish. However, these solutions are very much a hit or miss, and i would not recommend buying the butterfly fish just to get rid of the aiptasia. And some of your aiptasia look gigantic(if that's what those are in the first pic.. but i doubt it because they don't look at all like aiptasia) and peppermint shrimp have been known to only eat aiptasia when they are starting to grow and are very small. I highly doubt they will go after any aiptasia half the size of themselves, or even larger.

I gave some good links in this thread that i think you should read, it's post #5.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/yellow-polyps-in-bad-shape-help-127410.html#post1086066

The names your looking for are peppermint shrimp, and copperbanded butterfly fish. However, these solutions are very much a hit or miss, and i would not recommend buying the butterfly fish just to get rid of the aiptasia. And some of your aiptasia look gigantic(if that's what those are in the first pic.. but i doubt it because they don't look at all like aiptasia) and peppermint shrimp have been known to only eat aiptasia when they are starting to grow and are very small. I highly doubt they will go after any aiptasia half the size of themselves, or even larger.

I gave some good links in this thread that i think you should read, it's post #5.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/yellow-polyps-in-bad-shape-help-127410.html#post1086066

If they are not aiptaisia then any idea what they are? Also the ones in the video, are they aiptaisia?

I honestly have no clue what those are.. Never seen them before. Maybe baby bubble tip nems?

I had an aiptaisia in my tank and a day or two after I bought a peppermint shrimp it was gone, so.... On the other hand I do have one coral, I still haven't identified it yet that also has been trimmed. I can't say for sure if either was caused by the peppermint shrimp since I did not witness it, but most likely....
I was wondering the same thing when I saw your first anenome pic. very cool looking. how'd you luck out and get them?

Order some Joe's Juice or use use a kalk solution in a syringe or boiling water or lemon juice in a syringe.

If you are already infested they will keep coming back. The only way to rid the tank of them at that point is to "cook the rock"...That does not mean putting it in a 350 oven. It means putting it in a container with fresh sw mix a heater and ph, but covered so it gets no night. Every two weeks move the rock to another container of fresh sw (need at least two buckets/containers. It could take a full year of cooking to kill all the manjo.

It was on some live rock That I bought, theres about 4-5 more on the back side of some of the rock as well, I was debating killing them because I thought they were aiptaisia.

I don't think you are understanding.

You have two different species in the tank. The small ones in your video are aptasia. The ones in the picture is a different kind of anemone.

In case all of our points weren't getting across.. Manjano and Aiptasia anemones are BAD. They will ravage your tank and multiply ridiculously, and then they will sting and kill any coral that is in your tank. So.. the both of them are NOT good to keep.. at all.

Back
Top Bottom