Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aiptaisia Outbreak, your thoughts?

Here is a video of my aiptaisia outbreak. I went and bought Aiptaisia X recommended by my LFS. I've watched a few videos on you tube of people using it but I haven't gotten the courage yet to go ahead and do it myself. So far in all reality the aiptaisia haven't caused me any problems yet. There is about 4 larger ones and a dozen or so of small ones. The larger ones look kind of cool, how bad is this outbreak in my tank? And how bad is it to just leave them be?

I'm also a little affraid to apply this Aiptaisia X in my tank, will it kill anything else it drips on? Watching the videos of people applying seem to get it all over the place, will it destroy the live rock it touches? Or any other corals? I know to turn off all powerheads and pumps but what about when you turn them back on and it blows all over the place?

Here is a pic of the larger ones and a video of the smaller ones, I'm assuming they are smaller aiptaisia but it's hard to tell.

YouTube - Aiptaisia Outbreak

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think there are some shrimp and fish that will eat them but i cant remember the name of them off hand and have one draw back what do they eat after the aiptasia is gone. From what ive read if left alone they will take over your tank and can sting some coral. Ive heard of using a syringe full of very HOT water and squirting it directly on the aiptesia will kill it. But not sure. I just had some pop up on my SS and i just used a spoon to scoop it and the surrounding SS up and pitched it. Can u get the rock out that has it on it? Do a search on it for some ideas

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

The names your looking for are peppermint shrimp, and copperbanded butterfly fish. However, these solutions are very much a hit or miss, and i would not recommend buying the butterfly fish just to get rid of the aiptasia. And some of your aiptasia look gigantic(if that's what those are in the first pic.. but i doubt it because they don't look at all like aiptasia) and peppermint shrimp have been known to only eat aiptasia when they are starting to grow and are very small. I highly doubt they will go after any aiptasia half the size of themselves, or even larger.

I gave some good links in this thread that i think you should read, it's post #5.
Yellow Polyps in bad shape... help?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never seen Bubble Tip Aiptaisa before. lol

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
I've never seen Bubble Tip Aiptaisa before. lol
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
The names your looking for are peppermint shrimp, and copperbanded butterfly fish. However, these solutions are very much a hit or miss, and i would not recommend buying the butterfly fish just to get rid of the aiptasia. And some of your aiptasia look gigantic(if that's what those are in the first pic.. but i doubt it because they don't look at all like aiptasia) and peppermint shrimp have been known to only eat aiptasia when they are starting to grow and are very small. I highly doubt they will go after any aiptasia half the size of themselves, or even larger.

I gave some good links in this thread that i think you should read, it's post #5.
Yellow Polyps in bad shape... help?

If they are not aiptaisia then any idea what they are? Also the ones in the video, are they aiptaisia?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

those smaller ones are...

those big ones do look pretty cool. LOL
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

I honestly have no clue what those are.. Never seen them before. Maybe baby bubble tip nems?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Manjo Anenomes.
Check them out.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had an aiptaisia in my tank and a day or two after I bought a peppermint shrimp it was gone, so.... On the other hand I do have one coral, I still haven't identified it yet that also has been trimmed. I can't say for sure if either was caused by the peppermint shrimp since I did not witness it, but most likely....
I was wondering the same thing when I saw your first anenome pic. very cool looking. how'd you luck out and get them?

Tags
aiptasia control, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com