Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know nothing about this anemone so please forgive my ignorance.
Why is it such a pest? Does it hurt fish or just corals? If it only hurts corals and you don't have coral is it ok to keep or should you get rid of it anyway? How big does it get if you don't get rid of it?

They are consider a major nuisance because they can reproduce sexually and asexually, reproduce at a rapid rate when stressed, feed by either nutrient-dense water or zooxanthellae, reposition themselves by "walking" to preferred sections of aquaria, are very hardy, have strong nematocysts that will sting other coral along with allelopathy, and can grow to about 4" in diameter.

I prefer Kalk method of removal : Summons Scott for link *Poof!*

Kind of like dandelions in your yard. Kinda pretty when they're small, but when they take over the front lawn, they're not that pretty anymore.

Obviously, it's your choice whether or not you want to keep them... just like the dandelions! Some people actually like the look of them. But they WILL reproduce like crazy and at that point it becomes a real battle to get them out of your tank. Better to rid yourself of them as soon as you see them, in my opinion.

I have no idea how big they get. I've seen some as big around as a coaster before. (about 4" diameter.)

{Edit: That's funny! Innovator was posting at the same time I was typing. Guess that 4" one I saw was a monster then, eh?}

Wow, a coaster, I had a few in my 125 with the bulb as big as a ping pong ball.
James told me about this:
Nanoreefing.Com :: View topic - Aiptasia Killer
I tried the Joe's Juice, but this worked a heck of a lot better.
When I used the JJ, it took a few times to get rid of the bigger ones and they still came back.
Sorry Kurt was summoned before me...I have been a little under the weather for the last few days....but, something drew me here...LOL!

Last edited:
I have seen pictures of tanks where people have decided not to remove them. The rockwork glass and every other surface was covered with them. If you could have just one and it would stay put maybe it wouldn't be so bad. One turns into tons very quickly.

The pickeling lime does not require you to hit it in the mouth. I squirt it on any part and it eats it right away. With Joe's juice, you have to hit the mouth and sometimes the bigger ones come back.

I have posted this about 20 times, no chemicals or over the counter drugs. Boiling water and a turkey baster a total of $1.00 for the baster. Boil the water fill the baster and blast the Aiptasia with super hot water. Kills them instantly. And when the baster is ready to suck back up, keep it on the enemy and it will release it's grasp and go onto the baster. From there you can do whatever you want with it! Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom