Aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reszelj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! Anyone have good proven methods for getting rid foam ayptasia? Would appreciate it.

Attachments

• image-185257879.jpg
    image-185257879.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 123
And either of those methods won't hurt any other fish or coral?

The Aptasia X should be fine if applied according to the directions. Same for the lemon juice.

I prefer taking the rock out if possible then using a lighter or soldering iron. Rinse after burning and add back to tank. This has been the best results for me so far.

AquaRick said:
I prefer taking the rock out if possible then using a lighter or soldering iron. Rinse after burning and add back to tank. This has been the best results for me so far.

+1. Or use a mini blow torch and send those pest to hell! Lol

Injecting kalkwasser mixed to a paste-like consistency will also kill them. It is also generally harmless so long as you don't go nuts with it and end up putting more than a teaspoon of the dry powder per 30 gallons of water at a time and don't lat it right on any corals.

I've also read about people using berghia nudibranchs, but I understand that they will die once they have eradicated the aiptasia unless they are relocated to a tank with that food source.

I have lots of Aptasia in my sump & overflows but zero in my DT. I have several peppermint shrimp that keep it maintained perfectly.

They will eat them, but this is a difficult fish that needs a big quiet reef to live in. Not very reef safe IMO as well.
He never said it was a reef tank, and they can be in a reef tank they just have to be watched some may bother coral some may not. But yes they are difficult

True enough, didn't catch it wasn't a reef.

I just made the mistake getting a copperband for some aptasia years ago, and it didn't work out long term at all.

well I never had one, so since you have I would assume you know more about it then I do. I know they eat them so just kind of through another idea out there.

Back
Top Bottom