Aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have found an aiptasia in my tank today which I have manually removed I can see any more in the tank but as I have had one is it likely to be a reoccurring problem now? I have also noticed black marks on my cleaner today could this be from the sting or would this not mark?

I don't think Aiptasia would be able to hurt your shrimp. As far as there being more, just keep an eye out for them. You may or may not find more.

I just read a thread a few days ago on a cleaner with"pepper" marks. He didn't make it. I think it was in the sick fish or identification sections if you wanna search for it. Good luck!

woody390 said:
Have found an aiptasia in my tank today which I have manually removed I can see any more in the tank but as I have had one is it likely to be a reoccurring problem now? I have also noticed black marks on my cleaner today could this be from the sting or would this not mark?

I had aptasia in my tank. Put 3 peppermint shrimp. Gone in 2 days.

How did you manually remove it?? You need to be careful doing this.... they are nicknamed glass anemones for a reason. When physically removed, their stems can break into tiny fragments, each of which can float around, settle somewhere, and develop into a whole new anemone. You're best off taking care of them chemically or with something like peppermint shrimp.

Yeah I cut it off the live rock which I'm now thinking was a mistake, guess I'm off to get some peppermint shrimp in anticipation then

AbsoluteFaye said:
I just read a thread a few days ago on a cleaner with"pepper" marks. He didn't make it. I think it was in the sick fish or identification sections if you wanna search for it. Good luck!

Thanks for this just found the post and had a read

When they are threatened aiptasia will spit spors into your water column which will settle and leave you with a bigger problem ! I use aiptasia x it's the best stuff out there ! They think it's food and when they ingest it it glues their mouth together so they can't release their spors !

image-654107099.jpg

This is the stuff

I've found with peppermint shrimp and file fish is when they have eaten all the aiptasia they have a taste for the fleshy stuff and can start to nip at soft corals etc !

I currently have to aiptasia I can see. I have tried using aiptasia x and no matter how snail slow I go they close before I can apply it. Li also have two peppermint shrimp in my tank and haven't even come near them. Anyone have any ideas to help?

Honestly, if it's attached on something that's relatively easy to remove from the tank, my favorite method is a micro-torch... works like a champ every time! Just watch your eyes.... porous rock can pop under the heat.

Back
Top Bottom