Aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
Between adding macro from "The Reef Tank" and my little sisters inability to maintain her tank I have quite an abundance of Aiptasia anemones in a 29 reef. I have used Stop Aiptasia that seems to work however it must be applied to each individual animal and they must be big enough to impale with the syringe. I have been told that peppermint shrimp and copperband butterflies will eat them however...I don't believe that. Does anyone know of these specimens actually eating Aiptasia on a level supporting their purchase for that sole reason?

I had peppermints that ate them. It is still hit and miss though. I would say keep doing what you are doing or also try a turkey baster and hot water. It worked great for me.

Well, peppermints are kinda cheap, but I also didn't have luck with them eating my aiptasia. I used the syringe pasty stuff.

-j

peppermints are cool and eventually mine ate aiptasia. a testiment to how hardy aiptasia are is that I put the biggest one in a one gallon tank that I topped off maybe once every two weeks and rarely did water changes on. and it was under incandescent lighting. the bugger actually grew under those conditions.

I have 3 or 4 big ones in my tank that I've been letting get big enough to deal with by the syringe method. Wasn't aware that there was an actual product to use on them. I found something on the net regarding how to kill them off. What I was reading said to just inject them with Real-Lemon concentrate and that would take care of it. The article also did say that it was just hit or miss in getting something to eat them. Mine are actually kinda cool. They snatch up food like venus flytraps when I feed the tank. I guess they just become a nuisance when they start reproducing? Anyway, I'm gonna give a couple a dose of lemon death and see how that works.

Ok, thanks guys! I'll keep using the Stop Aiptasia and try the hot water for the little ones. The tank is already pretty full and I don't want to overcrowed it with an animal to preform a role it might or might not play.

Thanks,
Karl

Back
Top Bottom