Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Aiptasia and Caulerpa

Unusual title for the post, but ....

I've torn down my refugium twice, each time because it has become infested with Aiptasia. I started each time with new macro-algae (once chaeto, and once grape caulerpa) and after about 3 months, some obviously "stowaway" Aiptasia has exploded and infested the entire fuge.

It's been about 3 months since the last tear down, and this morning, I found two Aiptasia in the display tank.

So... if I tear down the fuge again, is there anyway such as high-salinity dip, low salinity dip, freshwater dip etc, that would kill the Aips, but not the macro-algae??? I checked all the macro-algae last time and saw nothing, but obviously some of the buggers got in.

Any ideas?

55g Reef
(3) Maxi-Jet 1200's, Wavemaker Pro
AquaC Remora Skimmer
100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Maybe get another peppermint shrimp for your fuge?

Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe the ones in your display are doing some spawning event and they are ending up in your fuge with the water current and then getting caught up in the macro?

Where did you get your macro from that both times it came in with aptasia? It just doesn't seem very likely, IMO (but then I'm no expert on the subject).

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
After many trials and losses with aptasia there is one method i have found that works. What you have to do is get yourself a syringe of some kind. I used the one that came with joes juice (which by the way isnt as effective as the method i am going to tell you about) Then boil some RO water, make sure it is scaulding so you can not even put your finger in there. Put the water in the syringe and point the head of the syringe directly at the aptasia. Whether it is around the mouth or the arms of it. The larger ones require a couple of injections but you will see it change colors right away and retract. No point spending money when everything required is readily available. Then once its all said and done, the peppermint shimp should come along and clean it up nicely!

Good luck
SJSobczyk is offline   Reply With Quote

aiptasia, caulerpa

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com