Aiptasia and Caulerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
Unusual title for the post, but ....

I've torn down my refugium twice, each time because it has become infested with Aiptasia. I started each time with new macro-algae (once chaeto, and once grape caulerpa) and after about 3 months, some obviously "stowaway" Aiptasia has exploded and infested the entire fuge.

It's been about 3 months since the last tear down, and this morning, I found two Aiptasia in the display tank.

So... if I tear down the fuge again, is there anyway such as high-salinity dip, low salinity dip, freshwater dip etc, that would kill the Aips, but not the macro-algae??? I checked all the macro-algae last time and saw nothing, but obviously some of the buggers got in.

Any ideas?

Maybe the ones in your display are doing some spawning event and they are ending up in your fuge with the water current and then getting caught up in the macro?

Where did you get your macro from that both times it came in with aptasia? It just doesn't seem very likely, IMO (but then I'm no expert on the subject).

After many trials and losses with aptasia there is one method i have found that works. What you have to do is get yourself a syringe of some kind. I used the one that came with joes juice (which by the way isnt as effective as the method i am going to tell you about) Then boil some RO water, make sure it is scaulding so you can not even put your finger in there. Put the water in the syringe and point the head of the syringe directly at the aptasia. Whether it is around the mouth or the arms of it. The larger ones require a couple of injections but you will see it change colors right away and retract. No point spending money when everything required is readily available. Then once its all said and done, the peppermint shimp should come along and clean it up nicely!

Good luck
Steve

Back
Top Bottom