Aiptasia and Copperband Butterflys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhd1104

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 55 gallon mini reef has been set up for ~14 months, and it is getting overtaken by aiptasia. I tried lemon juice, chopping them, drilling them :twisted: and a peppermint shrimp, but it died. I recently purchased a Copperband Butterflyfish and it finally lost all signs of stress (ich). How long does it take most copperbands to start eating aiptasia? It is doing great and eating brine shrimp and bloodworms well.

chopping them, drilling them
These are aiptasia propogation methods. Not surprised you're overrun with them. From what I've read, some copperbands are better at it than others. Might depend on how well it's fed. I've had good luck with kalk slurry administered with a syringe (no needle). The slurry reacts with the saltwater turning into a blob that tends to stay on the aiptasia until it's dissolved. Mix 1/2 tsp kalkwasser powder (calcium hydroxide aka. pickling lime) in 1/2 - 1 oz fresh water.Try this in the meantime until (if) the copperband eats them.

ive heard some AWESOME things about joes juice, if i had a problem with aiptasia i would definantly goe with joes
hth

Mr. Marine

Back
Top Bottom