Aiptasia and Ricordia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDracor

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just purchased a blue/green ricordia and didn't notice until I got home that there is an aiptasia on the frag plug right next to it!
On such a small object, I'd normally just burn it off or maybe use kalk, but I'm concerned to do anything hot or caustic with it so close to a notoriously sensitive corallimorph.
Suggestions for killing it without hurting the ricordia?
Here, you can see the aiptasia just below the folded edge of the ricordia. It's maybe 4-5 mm away.
38183-albums3039-picture39050.jpg

I would either use a something small to pick it off or use a small pipet filled lemon juice or hot water, face it downward away from the coral and shoot it.

Well, picking it off is fairly useless. Leave even the tiniest microscopic bit of it and it'll come back.
And I know I'll have to juice it or something eventually, I'm just really nervous about doing so near the ricordia. And if I do it in the middle of a current, to sweep the juice away from the mushroom, it may not be there long enough to get the aiptasia. It's a pickle. Anyone have some berghia? LOL

MacDracor said:
Well, picking it off is fairly useless. Leave even the tiniest microscopic bit of it and it'll come back.
And I know I'll have to juice it or something eventually, I'm just really nervous about doing so near the ricordia. And if I do it in the middle of a current, to sweep the juice away from the mushroom, it may not be there long enough to get the aiptasia. It's a pickle. Anyone have some berghia? LOL

I am in the same pickle I have 1 between 2 shrooms I will follow to see if a good idea comes up

I've used a sewing needle before to get at aiptasia near corals. Just heat up the needle in with a lighter or gas stove, take the rock out of water, and prick those little devils. It should pop pretty fast.

Use AiptasiaX by Red Sea. Ive used it hundreds of times, even squirt corals with no ill effects however avoid that. You should have no problem taking this guy out with it.

Rick - Never heard of anyone doing that before. How effective is it at preventing bits of the foot from growing new ones?
Schism - You say you've squirted it directly on corals. Would you say you've done that to traditionally sensitive or difficult ones?
Seriously, if this wasn't a Ricordia (first time ever trying one, and my reading on the topic has not been encouraging) I wouldn't give this a second thought. LOL

Oh, and Ryan, if those are standard mushrooms (Discosoma or Rhodactis) my guess is that you could even Kalk them up and they'd survive it. Those mushrooms are hard to kill.

Rick - Never heard of anyone doing that before. How effective is it at preventing bits of the foot from growing new ones?
Schism - You say you've squirted it directly on corals. Would you say you've done that to traditionally sensitive or difficult ones?
Seriously, if this wasn't a Ricordia (first time ever trying one, and my reading on the topic has not been encouraging) I wouldn't give this a second thought. LOL

Haven't had the aiptasia grow back using a soldering iron or a hot needle. Works well and a lot more fun than other methods I've tried. It does stink after it pops/burns. Best to wash off the spot after frying the aiptasia.

That sounds.... cathartic. LOL
But anyone know how long I can keep a Ricordia out of water? Everything I've read says they are uber sensitive. Right now I am photo acclimating it under a ledge.

MacDracor said:
That sounds.... cathartic. LOL
But anyone know how long I can keep a Ricordia out of water? Everything I've read says they are uber sensitive. Right now I am photo acclimating it under a ledge.

No they are not that sensitive at all, and can easily go ten minutes or more out of water with no ill effects, in fact i do this all the time. Also in the position the aiptasia is in you should have no problem as far as hurting it. Ive squirted all kinds of corals and as said have used hundreds of times. Not one time didnt anything become affected. I would bet my tanks on it.

Back
Top Bottom