Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aiptasia and Ricordia

Just purchased a blue/green ricordia and didn't notice until I got home that there is an aiptasia on the frag plug right next to it!
On such a small object, I'd normally just burn it off or maybe use kalk, but I'm concerned to do anything hot or caustic with it so close to a notoriously sensitive corallimorph.
Suggestions for killing it without hurting the ricordia?
Here, you can see the aiptasia just below the folded edge of the ricordia. It's maybe 4-5 mm away.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would either use a something small to pick it off or use a small pipet filled lemon juice or hot water, face it downward away from the coral and shoot it.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, picking it off is fairly useless. Leave even the tiniest microscopic bit of it and it'll come back.
And I know I'll have to juice it or something eventually, I'm just really nervous about doing so near the ricordia. And if I do it in the middle of a current, to sweep the juice away from the mushroom, it may not be there long enough to get the aiptasia. It's a pickle. Anyone have some berghia? LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
Well, picking it off is fairly useless. Leave even the tiniest microscopic bit of it and it'll come back.
And I know I'll have to juice it or something eventually, I'm just really nervous about doing so near the ricordia. And if I do it in the middle of a current, to sweep the juice away from the mushroom, it may not be there long enough to get the aiptasia. It's a pickle. Anyone have some berghia? LOL
I am in the same pickle I have 1 between 2 shrooms I will follow to see if a good idea comes up
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used a sewing needle before to get at aiptasia near corals. Just heat up the needle in with a lighter or gas stove, take the rock out of water, and prick those little devils. It should pop pretty fast.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use AiptasiaX by Red Sea. Ive used it hundreds of times, even squirt corals with no ill effects however avoid that. You should have no problem taking this guy out with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rick - Never heard of anyone doing that before. How effective is it at preventing bits of the foot from growing new ones?
Schism - You say you've squirted it directly on corals. Would you say you've done that to traditionally sensitive or difficult ones?
Seriously, if this wasn't a Ricordia (first time ever trying one, and my reading on the topic has not been encouraging) I wouldn't give this a second thought. LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, and Ryan, if those are standard mushrooms (Discosoma or Rhodactis) my guess is that you could even Kalk them up and they'd survive it. Those mushrooms are hard to kill.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
Rick - Never heard of anyone doing that before. How effective is it at preventing bits of the foot from growing new ones?
Schism - You say you've squirted it directly on corals. Would you say you've done that to traditionally sensitive or difficult ones?
Seriously, if this wasn't a Ricordia (first time ever trying one, and my reading on the topic has not been encouraging) I wouldn't give this a second thought. LOL
Haven't had the aiptasia grow back using a soldering iron or a hot needle. Works well and a lot more fun than other methods I've tried. It does stink after it pops/burns. Best to wash off the spot after frying the aiptasia.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds.... cathartic. LOL
But anyone know how long I can keep a Ricordia out of water? Everything I've read says they are uber sensitive. Right now I am photo acclimating it under a ledge.

Tags
aiptasia, ricordia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com