Aiptasia help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I broke down my 15 gal algae tank because there was to much aiptasia in it, dont know how it got in there though, but anyway. I took all the sand and the few pieces of live rock and placed them into a 5 gal bucket with a PH and heater. Now what I want to know is can I kill all the aiptasia with out having to let everything dry out. I have tryed the injection with hot water/ lemon juice/ calcium and had limited succes. I just want it all gone so that I can reuse the sand and live rock. Any ideas?

Get some Joe's Juice and redo the injection. This stuff is really magic. Also keep a couple of Peppermint shrimp and they might eat some of it as well.

I have had and still have small aptasias in my tank, the Peppermint shrimp clean them up very well. Naturally when my Peppermint shrimp is doing his job there are no visible signs of them, but occassionally he dies and the aptasias come back.

I have heard people say to use Joe's Juice, but the injection process seems a bit difficult. Evidentally you can not just blast the aptasia, you have to slowly force the aptasia to eat it... Too much work for me.

Good luck!!!

I agree with the hot water method. Make sure the water is almost at a boil, then retract it into a needle, an inject it directly into the mouth. It should shrivel up and fall off the rock within second. If you have a peppermint shrimp in the tank, he will be quick to grab it.

Steve

I had no luck with boiling water.

Joes Juice worked magnificently. I couldn't get the tip into the mouth of the aipstasia (retracts way too fast) so I just blasted it with the Juice. Worked well. My peppermint shrimp take care of the smaller ones. 2 Years and counting after Joes Juice, and still see none.

Peppermint shrimp work great although, if they're eating well at feeding time they might get a bit lazy. If you're eating steak, why hunt for squirrels? Also, they need replenishing as their lifespans aren't all that long.

Joe's juice is easy, cheap and effective. Love the stuff. For $6 I can kill aiptasia and nuisance anemones during my water changes with no hassle.

six line wrasse and peppermint took good care of my outbreak. But i have to warn you about the six line, he got crazy after about six month and terrorized and killed two of my fish, wich i added after him.

Back
Top Bottom