Aiptasia "injection"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found what I think is an aiptasia in my tank (posted in the ID forum last night). My question about getting rid of it is when people say they "inject" with lemon juice, boiling RO, aiptasia x, etc....do they actually mean using a hypodermic needle, sticking it and injecting into the thing? I hit mine with boiling water out of a plastic pipette last night, but he withdrew. I don't know if he's dead (yet), but if I actually need to inject, how do you do it without the thing withdrawing?

The same question applies w.r.t. covering it with epoxy or kalk paste...how do you get it on the thing without it pulling in?

They have a mouth and you can get it really close to just shoot it down there. Kinda like giving a baby medication, just of a much smaller scale and underwater.
When it comes to pasting over it, it doesn't matter if it pulls in or not, you just cover it up. If it can't get out and dies, the problem is still solved.
Even when I use aptasia-x, I get it into the mouth if I can and then use whatever is left in the syringe to cover up the area as the stuff is really non-toxic. I've forgot to turn off powerheads before and had my carpet anemone eat globs of the stuff with no issues at all, oddly enough.

Well, with 3 kids, I'm familiar with giving medication to babies (not underwater though ;) ).

The boiling water didn't get it...my wife just emailed me a picture and it's back. If covering it is all it takes, can I just use a little bit of 2-part reef epoxy that I use to mount my frags and cover it up, or does it need to be kalk paste specifically that it gets covered with to "burn" it?

I think kalk would be more effective in case you didn't get the small hole that it is burrowed into, but your idea of simply preventing it from ever coming out again is the same that I did with vermetid snails and super glue. Effective.

I used aiptasia x and it worked to an extent but they seem to split up and spread so I got a peppermint shrimp and used it alongside aiptasia x. That worked brilliant and it cleared up in a week or two and has never come back

Back
Top Bottom