Aiptasia...LOTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take a close look at peppermint VS camel shrimp. Camel = BAD. They have very different stripe patterns and hump, like a camel.

The LFS may mislabel so you have to be careful and check each one.
good post! also be sure that the shrimp is from the Atlantic and not the pacific. The pacific shrimp has almost the same name but won't eat aiptasia. The shrimp that you want is "Lysmata wurdemani". Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Yeah I did what joy13 did and killed the big guys with AipX and let the pep take the rest. He ate pellets readily after the aiptasia was gone

Ok now i just have to find some real peppermint shrimp. I was gonna drive back to a lfs that sold me a killer snail but I dont think he has any shrimp and the folks that do have the shrimp are an hour in the opposite direction. Grrrr...I have so much to do with these new tanks.

Ok now i just have to find some real peppermint shrimp. I was gonna drive back to a lfs that sold me a killer snail but I dont think he has any shrimp and the folks that do have the shrimp are an hour in the opposite direction. Grrrr...I have so much to do with these new tanks.
Looks like you need to move closer to that LFS. LOL

I got four peppermint shrimp yesterday. :)

Now that i have them I need to know more about them.
What do they eat other than aiptasia? I had one molt already, really creepy..LOL Whats that all about?

Yes, but not all. I have peppermint and coral banded and will get a pistol for my watchman goby and a cleaner.

Can you mix shrimp? I have a fire one and am starting to see algae and clear little tubelike structures....
Your tube line structures are worms and a good thing. Don't try to remove or kill them.

Keep Us Posted. I had some when I started my first tank and a pepp took are of them. Not sure why, but the pepp is long gone, always did like to watch it 'when' it would come out. I've had some BIG ones in my other tank, and never did anything to them. For some reason they never spread, but if they start to I figure I'll try the peppermint shrimp again.

I got inpatient so I took care of them myself I hope. there was one rock that had more of it than rock showing so i just threw that one away. The other two rocks I injected them with kalkwasser/water mixture. So now my 4 shrimo have nothing to do. lol

Whats with the molting? is that a good thing or bad?

They have an exoskeleton, every so often they will shed their old skin when it gets to small, allowing them to develop a new skin to fill into and grow bigger.

Hmm. So it was just a coincidence that the first day i got them one molted? I was worried it was my water or something

Naw. You're fine. It's just part of them growing. It freaked my wife out when she woke up and my cbs had molted and the skin was floating around the tank.

When you put the kalk on them make sure to have a thick mixture and put a big blob right in their mouth. Turn off all current as well and let the stuff sit on them for a few minutes, i usually left mine off for about 10 minutes. Do you have any pics of the new tank??

Found you other thread and saw the pics. The tank looks nice, is that all the rock it came with??? the pic on ebay looked like it had a lot more nice rock pieces.

It only came with 30lbs. :( and 55 lbs of sand. o started moving my current LR into there today. Still have about 30 more lbs to go in

carey said:
Whats with the molting? is that a good thing or bad?

The molting is good. It means he's getting bigger, and I've read the bigger ones really go after aptasia. They have a hard exoskeleton that cannot strech like our skin. When it molts its new shell will be soft for a day or 2 and it will probably hide out until it gets harder. I had a cleaner that was found shortly after molting by an emerald crab, end of the line for him lol. I'm also battling aptasia using aptasia-x and I plan on getting 2 peps this weekend

Back
Top Bottom