Aiptasia overload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
The liverock in my 35 gal. reef tank is covered with aiptasia,so much that using Joes Juice would take weeks to control.Is there a way i can remove the rock and soak it in something that will not kill off the purple coraline algae?TIA

I dont know if theres a way to remove the rock and soak it to remove aiptasia without killing the caraline, sorry! However if you wanted to try something natural you could get a couple peppermint shrimp as they are awsome at aiptasia control. Thats just up to you though! :)

Will perpermint shirmp live with Skunk Cleanees, or will they fight?

Also this is a 10 gal.....so if there is a better way, let me know.

I was thinking about doing the hot water method!

Couldn't say on the compatability between skunk cleaners and peppermints, but I put three of the little guys in my 20 way back when and they went to town on the aiptasia. Got rid of it in a week. And they were pretty cool to watch too. Have heard that the hot water injected into them works just never tried it. Was a little to involved for me. Oh well, just a thought!

Edit*
By the way Hara is that your websight, looks really cool?

I think the tank is to small for both species of shrimp. Check out the link hara posted. Peppermints are not a guarantee. If you do get one that eats the aptasia, they only eat the small ones and the large ones are left to continue to spread. Good luck.

there are a few species of peppermints as well. The caribean is the one you're after for aiptasia control. "Lysmata wurdemanni"

You can also try berghia nudibranchs which feed only off of aiptasia.....after the aiptasia goes extinct, so goes the nudi's too though.

I would watch the heat in a 10G, if you go with the boiling method. Take it slow, so you don't overheat your tank.

Back
Top Bottom