Aiptasia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjohnston

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 210 gallon tank that is being overrun by aiptasia. 75% of my live rock is covered with them and their beginning to harm my other corals and invertebrates. Is there anything I can do to kill them without harming the rest of the tank?

Adding livestock (fish or shrimp) to your tank won't work with your current stock list.

A surefire way to get rid of them is to use something like Joe Juice. It's safe for other corals and will knock aipstasia right out. It sounds like it's going to take some diligence on your part to get rid of them but be persistent and Joes Juice will work.

Peppermints aren't a guarantee. I had two stalks in my tank and they only ate one of them.

Kurt you may have majano anemones, do a search on google to see if thats them. Kalk paste or Joes Juice work well. The problem is when the tank is infested bad it can take a long time to nuke them all. And when you think there all gone more pop up. I have been battling majanos for years with no end in sight.. Good luck with the battle.

Yes, that is them. I have removed approximately (No kidding here) over 200 in the last 4 days and would guess there are another 2-300 still in the tank.

I purchased a product similar (would assume) to Joes Juice, which smells like lime juice but it does not actualy kill them just makes them kind of wither for awhile and sometimes makes them weak enough to come off the rock using a siphon.

Yesterday I used a smaller hose and as I ripped them apart/off with the knife held the siphon close to suck up all the little parts and their bodies.

So, guessing the nudibrach mentioned in the link will not eat them nor will peppermint shrimp.

Need to do a search, want to feed them to something.

This all started when two came in on a rock with a coral and I thought "They are kind of cute, why kill them"....Oh man to have that day back.

According to a link when I googled it seems they have the same predator list...so perhaps the peppermint shrimp arriving tomorrow will be well fed.

I wonder if Camel back shrimp also dine on them.

I had peps and they never touched them, there are severl types of shrimp sold as peps and not all eat pest anemones.. No 100%. Never pull, pluck or cut in the tank they can spread that way from what people say. JJ works well so if your not using that then try and get some. Kalk works well also and is cheaper the JJ..

Back
Top Bottom