aiptasia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, I posted this in the I.D. section then figured it may be better to go in this forum.

My main tank is up and running with a refugium with grape caulerpa and LR rubble from my shipment while my LR is curing in the garage. I just noticed last night that there are what appears to be a several small aiptasia stalks, the smallest is only about a 1/4" or so and the biggest at about 1". Seeing that there is nothing in the main tank other than sand, should I leave them in the refugium or pull them out? Once I have my LR in the main, can the fuge aiptasia get up the the main tank?

Ryan

I am not sure if they can spread to the main tank from the fuge, but just in case... I would take them out. Use boiling water and a turkey baster.

I have never seen it happen but have heard of it happening. I would definitely say it could happen if you tried to manually remove them.(pull them loose)

man those jokers can go anywhere that water flows. ive seen larger ones go through my powerhead and acually shred and turn into 4 or 5. kill them all before you add the live rock.

how fast do they grow? I'm wondering if they came with the LR rubble or if they were embedded in the "mat" of grape caulerpa my friend gave me. But I'm seeing more and more from within the fuge, poking out of the macro's. I don't know if small bits of rubble have fallen into the caulerpa or if they are coming from it..... argh!!

Ryan

Get some peppermint shrimp maybe???... even if its temp... they will knock the smaller ones out... although it is hit or miss I have read as to which ones will eat them and which will not... it's worth a try to get rid of the smaller ones before they take over.

peppermint shrimp will take out the smaller ones but i am a 100% proven fan of joes juice. it works quick its not that expensive and it took out my aiptasia problem in bout a week of using it peridoically and its reef safe

they're so small, how would i even go about getting in there to stick 'em with the juice? maybe i should wait till they get big enough and right before i add my LR?

Back
Top Bottom