Aiptasia war

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky477

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 24 gal salt water reef aquarium, with several corals and a couple of fish. A few months ago I notice a glass anemone, and tried to zap it with store bought chemicals. Now I have two glass anemones. Next I tried a peppermint shrimp (if it is indeed a peppermint shrimp.) and have had no luck. I was thinking of trying some Bergia Nudibranchs but I've heard they also eat Sun Corals (Tubastrea faulkneri), of which I have two.

Has anyone had any luck with the Nudibranchs, getting rid of Aiptasia, and is that all they eat?

i just shoot them in the stalk with liquid calcium. they do not come back after that !! all of the natural predators of aipasia are a hit and miss chance in a tank.

I agree, Joe's Juice is great. I had a pep shrimp that only ate one of my aiptasia stalks and left the other alone. If you use JJ, make sure you turn of your water movement sources and hit them right in the "mouth". Also, keep in mind, the larger ones will need to be hit more than once.

As Scott said make sure that you turn off your water movement when you are using JJ. It is a great product and I haven't had an aiptasia in my tank in almost a year.

I use a salt paste right in the mouth area. I would not suggest nudibranches as they could mess with your corals once the aiptasia is gone.

My friend owns a SW store, and I've seen him use some "Kalkweisser" (sp?), works great. I should know the name...

if you try the Bergia Nudibranchs ... make sure there are some fellow reefers with aiptasia too that you can kinda loan them out too. once they clear up your tank, they will just wither away and die, because that is all that they eat. so if you can loan them out to other reefers around you, you can get them back if you wind up with more aiptasia.

I used concentrated lemon juice and it kicked their buts. I also bought a Peppermint Shrimp to keep the problem away.

Worked for me and cost almost nothing.

How long have you had the pepp shrimp? It took mine a while to get all the aiptasia gone, but once he started they were gone pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom