Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Aiptasiageddon

So let me start by saying that the aiptasia definitely sexually reproduced in my tank....

I've been using 3mL of vinegar a day in my aquarium combating the aiptasiageddon (causing problems with pH) and I honestly don't feel like I'm making any headway in the battle. Vinegar always worked very well in controlling the occasional aiptasia that popped up in the past but now I am looking at other options. I believe a few of them snuck in beneath the radar in some Grape Caulerpa I added to my fuge and I am wondering if it's a different species from what I had before.

Does anyone have any tricks for dealing with large numbers of aiptasia?

Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Iíve never heard of vinegar for aiptasia control, always been either boiling lemon juice/water or an aiptasia-x/joeís juice sort of deal.
Iíve actually run into a similar issue. Iíve been aiptasia-x everything I can find and still have them coming up.
That aside, that leaves natural predators. Those would be a specific nudibranch whoís name is escaping me, a specific peppermint shrimp...only from the west coast I believe, and cooperband butterfly. Far from a real solution, as most natural means tends to be in this hobby. The nudibranch and cooperband are out right away. Leaves only the peppermint which is extremely hit or miss due to barely being able to distinguish where they come from or even if it will.
I know this is far from the answer you are looking for. Iím in the similar boat...but Iím considering peppermints I order off of liveaquaria. Iíll make that decision in a couple of months if I donít make headway.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Aptasia X or try H202 if you can.
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Iíve never heard of vinegar for aiptasia control, always been either boiling lemon juice/water or an aiptasia-x/joeís juice sort of deal.
Iíve actually run into a similar issue. Iíve been aiptasia-x everything I can find and still have them coming up.
That aside, that leaves natural predators. Those would be a specific nudibranch whoís name is escaping me, a specific peppermint shrimp...only from the west coast I believe, and cooperband butterfly. Far from a real solution, as most natural means tends to be in this hobby. The nudibranch and cooperband are out right away. Leaves only the peppermint which is extremely hit or miss due to barely being able to distinguish where they come from or even if it will.
I know this is far from the answer you are looking for. Iím in the similar boat...but Iím considering peppermints I order off of liveaquaria. Iíll make that decision in a couple of months if I donít make headway.
Yeah, vinegar works great. They shrivel up instantly and are gone. It was suggested to me from the reef tank.

Why are the nidibranchs not an option?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Yeah, vinegar works great. They shrivel up instantly and are gone. It was suggested to me from the reef tank.

Why are the nidibranchs not an option?
The vinegar is also a forum of carbon dosing to control nitrates so maybe just lower your dose to help with Ph issue?
The nudis are hit and miss also as true Berghia are hard to accurately source also I believe.
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The berghia nudis only eat aiptasia. So youíd need to keep feeding them such. Counter productive to our goal as we wouldnít want to keep adding them to the system to keep the nudibranch alive. The cooperband and peppermints eat other things as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
The vinegar is also a forum of carbon dosing to control nitrates so maybe just lower your dose to help with Ph issue?
The nudis are hit and miss also as true Berghia are hard to accurately source also I believe.
Yes it is, I'm having some lower than optimal calcium readings so I was gonna start adding kalk to the tank regularly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The berghia nudis only eat aiptasia. So youíd need to keep feeding them such. Counter productive to our goal as we wouldnít want to keep adding them to the system to keep the nudibranch alive. The cooperband and peppermints eat other things as well.
Would we really need to keep the nudis alive once the outbreak was managed? I have a hard time believing that peppermint shrimp can manage a large scale outbreak. I would expect 1 peppermint shrimp to eat no more than 2 aiptasia a day, when there are hundreds I don't see them being able to keep up appropriately.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The same will go for the nudibranch, and of course we canít just let them die...unethical.
Can any of the rocks be removed? You mentioned kalk and a kalk paste will kill them as well. You could just paste over entire rocks. If they can be taken outside Iíd boil a pot of water and dump it over the rock. Remember not to boil rock due to paly toxin possibilities.

Tags
age, aiptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com