Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Aiptasiageddon

So let me start by saying that the aiptasia definitely sexually reproduced in my tank....

I've been using 3mL of vinegar a day in my aquarium combating the aiptasiageddon (causing problems with pH) and I honestly don't feel like I'm making any headway in the battle. Vinegar always worked very well in controlling the occasional aiptasia that popped up in the past but now I am looking at other options. I believe a few of them snuck in beneath the radar in some Grape Caulerpa I added to my fuge and I am wondering if it's a different species from what I had before.

Does anyone have any tricks for dealing with large numbers of aiptasia?
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,466
Iíve never heard of vinegar for aiptasia control, always been either boiling lemon juice/water or an aiptasia-x/joeís juice sort of deal.
Iíve actually run into a similar issue. Iíve been aiptasia-x everything I can find and still have them coming up.
That aside, that leaves natural predators. Those would be a specific nudibranch whoís name is escaping me, a specific peppermint shrimp...only from the west coast I believe, and cooperband butterfly. Far from a real solution, as most natural means tends to be in this hobby. The nudibranch and cooperband are out right away. Leaves only the peppermint which is extremely hit or miss due to barely being able to distinguish where they come from or even if it will.
I know this is far from the answer you are looking for. Iím in the similar boat...but Iím considering peppermints I order off of liveaquaria. Iíll make that decision in a couple of months if I donít make headway.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 5,052
Aptasia X or try H202 if you can.
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Iíve never heard of vinegar for aiptasia control, always been either boiling lemon juice/water or an aiptasia-x/joeís juice sort of deal.
Iíve actually run into a similar issue. Iíve been aiptasia-x everything I can find and still have them coming up.
That aside, that leaves natural predators. Those would be a specific nudibranch whoís name is escaping me, a specific peppermint shrimp...only from the west coast I believe, and cooperband butterfly. Far from a real solution, as most natural means tends to be in this hobby. The nudibranch and cooperband are out right away. Leaves only the peppermint which is extremely hit or miss due to barely being able to distinguish where they come from or even if it will.
I know this is far from the answer you are looking for. Iím in the similar boat...but Iím considering peppermints I order off of liveaquaria. Iíll make that decision in a couple of months if I donít make headway.
Yeah, vinegar works great. They shrivel up instantly and are gone. It was suggested to me from the reef tank.

Why are the nidibranchs not an option?
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Yeah, vinegar works great. They shrivel up instantly and are gone. It was suggested to me from the reef tank.

Why are the nidibranchs not an option?
The vinegar is also a forum of carbon dosing to control nitrates so maybe just lower your dose to help with Ph issue?
The nudis are hit and miss also as true Berghia are hard to accurately source also I believe.
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,466
The berghia nudis only eat aiptasia. So youíd need to keep feeding them such. Counter productive to our goal as we wouldnít want to keep adding them to the system to keep the nudibranch alive. The cooperband and peppermints eat other things as well.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
The vinegar is also a forum of carbon dosing to control nitrates so maybe just lower your dose to help with Ph issue?
The nudis are hit and miss also as true Berghia are hard to accurately source also I believe.
Yes it is, I'm having some lower than optimal calcium readings so I was gonna start adding kalk to the tank regularly,


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The berghia nudis only eat aiptasia. So youíd need to keep feeding them such. Counter productive to our goal as we wouldnít want to keep adding them to the system to keep the nudibranch alive. The cooperband and peppermints eat other things as well.
Would we really need to keep the nudis alive once the outbreak was managed? I have a hard time believing that peppermint shrimp can manage a large scale outbreak. I would expect 1 peppermint shrimp to eat no more than 2 aiptasia a day, when there are hundreds I don't see them being able to keep up appropriately.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,466
The same will go for the nudibranch, and of course we canít just let them die...unethical.
Can any of the rocks be removed? You mentioned kalk and a kalk paste will kill them as well. You could just paste over entire rocks. If they can be taken outside Iíd boil a pot of water and dump it over the rock. Remember not to boil rock due to paly toxin possibilities.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
age, aiptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.