Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
Air Bubble strip

Can you put a air bubble strip in a 5 inch sand bed 55 gallon ? Thanks...

0.1 Flying Gecko
LIMentality420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Bubble strips will irritate corals and are normally not used in a reef tank. I guess with a FO only tank you could.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to fishyfriends
I have a long bubble strip in my FO. It does look pretty with my blue moonlight but regardless of how far down in the sandbed u put it - it always manages to find its way up pretty soon! Also my Boxer Shrimps tend to try and eat the bubbles which I'm sure isn't too healthy! :P
Old 03-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

could be hard in a reef tank as all of the water flow would/should blow the bubbles
all over.

It might work if you have big bubbles and low flow.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

the bubbles are a huge problem in SW tanks. Two words...salt creep.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
Thanks.no bubbles for me...
0.1 Flying Gecko
LIMentality420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's possibly dangerous to coral and sponges. Also, in my opinion, decoratively speaking ... it's the equivalent of velvet portraits. Go natural. Unless you are recreating a reef adjacent to a volcano, there are no bubble walls underwater.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to fishyfriends
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
the bubbles are a huge problem in SW tanks. Two words...salt creep.
Salt creep?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When the salt spashes out of the water, slowly it will lower the salinity of your tank. Its a big problem. It also will leave a thick film of salt on any surfaces near your tank (that includes lighting fixtures).

Tags
air, air bubble, bubble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com